Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...listening to Metallica's Master of Puppets today and just trying to figure out how they get that chunk-a-chunk rhythm guitar sound? Any clues? I'm guessing delay & palm muting? Or is it some other effect or trick?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
so...listening to Metallica's Master of Puppets today and just trying to figure out how they get that chunk-a-chunk rhythm guitar sound? Any clues? I'm guessing delay & palm muting? Or is it some other effect or trick?
palm mute, no delay. And LOTS of right-hand technique. LOTS.

MoP isn't too bad to play. Creeping Death is more fun, IMO.

·
Registered
635 Posts
yea its a ton of palm mute. also where u are strumming and muting in relation to the pickups can be a factor (much less, in my experience) in terms of "chunkiness"

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
For even more fun, try Battery or Damage Inc. Your right forearm will get big quick.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yup right hand baby (palm mute)

this technique is trickier with Floyd Rose type tremolos as you may put too much pressure on the bridge and pull yourself sharp.
Mesa Boogie Dual rectifiers help as well.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Palm muting with all down picking.

I know it seems hard to believe, but it really is all down picking. Hetfield used to be fast before he got gay.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
listen to Michael Schenker

back in his UFO days. That guy could strum.
Metallica followed Motorhead and took it to another level.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep...

KenB said:
So very very true.

It's all downpicking, and PM as these guys have stated, that's why I stated in an earlier thread how hard right hand technique is to get down for new players, AND how important it is. If you really want to have fun, try some of the old tunes by another former metallica lead guitarist. Mustaine kicked some serious A*s

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
physasst said:
It's all downpicking, and PM as these guys have stated, that's why I stated in an earlier thread how hard right hand technique is to get down for new players, AND how important it is. If you really want to have fun, try some of the old tunes by another former metallica lead guitarist. Mustaine kicked some serious A*s
Wakeup Dead is one of my all-time favorites.

BoJo, another cool thing to try is deadening the strings with your left hand on the fretboard and chunking away in between chords. It gives you a very raw sound with a little harmonic depending on how and where you do it on the neck.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I know it seems hard to believe, but it really is all down picking. Hetfield used to be fast before he got gay.
Are you saying he came out of the closet and that slowed down his guitar playing, or are you using "gay" to mean "lame"? If the former, I'd like to hear more on the connection, but I am going to assume the latter. I know that is a common usage, and I am not trying to bust your chops on this, but....

...when you use the term gay as an insult, do you ever think about how gay people on this board will interpret your words, and how those words will affect them? Something to think about.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
dr hoo said:
Are you saying he came out of the closet and that slowed down his guitar playing, or are you using "gay" to mean "lame"? If the former, I'd like to hear more on the connection, but I am going to assume the latter. I know that is a common usage, and I am not trying to bust your chops on this, but....

...when you use the term gay as an insult, do you ever think about how gay people on this board will interpret your words, and how those words will affect them? Something to think about.
For the record, I don't mean to offend gay people. I have nothing against them.

I should have said "before Hetfield became a bucket of suck."

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dr hoo said:

FWIW I don't think Hetfield is a homosexual. I think he's married--he also just recently went through rehab--I like some of the songs off the new album even though it's nowhere near the old stuff. The Unknown Feeling is a really cool song IMO.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
FWIW I don't think Hetfield is a homosexual. I think he's married--he also just recently went through rehab--I like some of the songs off the new album even though it's nowhere near the old stuff. The Unknown Feeling is a really cool song IMO.
I don't think he is actually gay, either.

St. Anger is the worst album in the history of the world.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I don't think he is actually gay, either.

St. Anger is the worst album in the history of the world.
To quote Homer Simpson, those guys are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

They became everything they swore they wouldn't. I'm sure Cliff Burton is
rolling in his grave.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KenB said:
To quote Homer Simpson, those guys are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

They became everything they swore they wouldn't. I'm sure Cliff Burton is
rolling in his grave.
Load was crap.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
They haven't put out a good album since ...And Justice.
I didn't even really like that one. I mean, Kirk totally pussed out, Lars... his drum sound blew, the guitars sounded like they had the flu and the production was just plain weak.

I liked the sound and production on the black album but the music was as weak as Justice. IMO.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
downpicking

physasst said:
Please flame away if I'm wrong, but the "all-downpicking" thing in my opinion was a bit of a myth, much like some of the speed demons on Shrapnel records that claimed they never did sweeps. They certainly advocated downpicking where possible, and could do it at break-neck speeds, but there's no way some of that stuff was all downpicking. Think about the bridge on "One," where he sings "Darkness, Imprisoning Me, All That I See, Absolute Horror ..."

FWIW, I thought "St. Anger" was pretty much crap, but I dug "Load." After "And Justice," there wasn't much further to go with that same sound.
Black Album didn't do it for me. No objection to the direction, just didn't dig the songs as much.

"Creeping Death" is great fun to play, as is "Fade to Black," as someone posted on another thread. I always marveled at the pure number of riffs they could work into one song

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
KenB said:
I didn't even really like that one. I mean, Kirk totally pussed out, Lars... his drum sound blew, the guitars sounded like they had the flu and the production was just plain weak.

I liked the sound and production on the black album but the music was as weak as Justice. IMO.
Don't forget that you literally cannot hear the bass.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts