Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting off re-lining my wood stove for YEARS. Now I know why, it takes 1 inch firebrick and they only make 1.25. I have 17 bricks dado'd and need to cut to length and split a few lengthwise...oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Oh well the stove has saved me over 25 grand in fuel cost I'm sure so....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what a fricking mess......LOL....up to my waist in the stove to get the old stuff out, cleaned and new stuff in, but it's done. I JUST remembered why I hadn't done it before. HOWEVER it is done and i would think, good for another 25 years, this is better than the refractory cement they had in there. The steel is BEAUTIFUL behind and under it!!!!!! I would have taken pictures BUT I wasn't TOUCHING my camera....

keep in mind the firebox is close to 8 cubic feet...

edit: and btw, this is probably the LAST time it will EVER be this clean

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gawd i need a shower.....I am FILTHY

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
CdaleNut said:
this looks like a fun project.
First thing I thought of...

So, T0G, was the first frost of the season a gentle reminder to get this done before winter or did your wife see the forecast? :D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you kidding?....my wife ? even notice a necessary repair?....not hardly.

I have been threatening to do this for 2 years, when I did the floor, I realized it ALL had to be done soon. It's done now, and there is a fire back in it again. The kicker is, during the REAL heating season the stove is in service and I can't shut it down for 3 or 4 days. (It takes at least that long to cool off enough to crawl into)

We have actually not had a frost in the woods yet, Saturday night was closer than last night. The temp in the woods is easily 4 or 5 degrees warmer in cool weather and 5 or 5 degrees cooler in hot weather

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Nice job--I think you are one of a very few people crazy enough to DIY a job like that.

With the stove though I can imagine you have the same sort of affection for yours as I've developed for the one we fired up last year.

Speaking of which, it looks like I'll be buying wood bricks this year--I've had no time at all to deal with firewood...and I still have a list of projects as long as my arm to be done before my inlaws descend on us for Thanksgiving, so probably no time to get some split and stacked before real cold hits.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed.....cooked a lot of stuff on and in that stove..

Wooglin, I'll take a better pic tomorrow.....got some stuff to finish up.

Got a fire going now to take the chill of the house

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paredown, I'm not sure where or who i could have gotten to even do this job had i not tackled it myself. I mean each brick had a minimum of 3 cuts on it. It wasn't a difficult job but it sure was messy. Guessing if i had found someone to do it it would have cost me 3 or 400 bucks at least. I have like 32 fire brick involved and maybe 4 hours total including getting the brick. I had the saw...So you saying not everyone does sh!t like this????

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Nope!

My perspective has changed after being around New Yorkers---if you can believe it, someone who had purchased a new condo was grousing about the fact he had to now take his own garbage out to the curb because he had no super to do it for him.

And he thought this was a big negative for owning vs renting!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey most of the time I have to put it in the can in the kitchen, then take it outside then take it to the dump....

or I could leave it lay on the counter or floor.....

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Were you cutting wet or dry?

(shaking head)

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Wow

that looks like a PAIN.

I don't know much about tile, but we did our kitchen's wall wainscotting over the last couple of weeks, and it was somewhat annoying -- and all we had to do was cut down subway tiles!

Of course, we don't have a fancy tile saw, just a scorer and nippers, and a file, so it took longer than it should have.

Are you saying, you had to cut 1/4" off of the bottom of EVERY brick?

What a pita.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I find it amusing that you fit into your fireplace.

I wouldn't let your wife know that, or she can destroy the body...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Safe-T wet of course...gimme some credit..LOL

Argent, no actually i had to cut an inch off every brick and cut 3 lengthwise and cut that rabbit in the top of all of them so they would fit behind that steel tab that holds them in place.

Chain...yeah she could if she could keep a fire going.....however, i ain't too worried about that....she lets the fire go out all the time.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Safe-T wet of course...gimme some credit..LOL

My deepest and most sincere apologies for even considering that you'd do it the other way
:blush2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts