Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· What me worry?
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given the following advice:

Shimano hubs (Ultegra are a good price point) with Mavic reflex tubular or Velocity Escape tubular rims, 32h front & rear. For tires you can either get Tufo LPS 32's, Tufo Flexus, Vittoria XG 34's, or Challenge Grifo 32's.

In order of "performance":

Challenge Grifo 32
Tufo Flexus
Tufo LPS 32
Vittoria XG 34

Glue them on with Vittoria Mastic-1, and know what you're doing before you glue them on.​

The "new" Tufo Flexus 32s have a more "modern" tread pattern similar to what is available on the clinchers. http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/CXTR700CTUB/TR1828

Has anyone raced the new Tufos? Other comments on the wheels and/or tires?

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Dragoon91 said:
New Hampshire. Will race in New England.

I thought there would be more info but am new and only saw the 2 pages of current threads.
Use the search for keywords like "tubular," "tufo," "griffo," etc. You'll get older stuff.

New England is rocky. Get something tough -- perhaps Tufo T series. Do the Griffos have tought sidewalls?

· Registered
813 Posts
another good tube rim thats light is the Ambrosio Crono F20--about 330 grams. compared to 375 for Reflex.

also, if youre buying a used Reflex rim, make sure its tubular, the older "reflex" was clincher and looks like the Open Pro.

jeremy

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Dragoon91 said:
I was given the following advice:

Shimano hubs (Ultegra are a good price point) with Mavic reflex tubular or Velocity Escape tubular rims, 32h front & rear. For tires you can either get Tufo LPS 32's, Tufo Flexus, Vittoria XG 34's, or Challenge Grifo 32's.

In order of "performance":

Challenge Grifo 32
Tufo Flexus
Tufo LPS 32
Vittoria XG 34

Glue them on with Vittoria Mastic-1, and know what you're doing before you glue them on.​

The "new" Tufo Flexus 32s have a more "modern" tread pattern similar to what is available on the clinchers. http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/CXTR700CTUB/TR1828

Has anyone raced the new Tufos? Other comments on the wheels and/or tires?
Ultegra works. So does XTR and/or XT (if you've got a road-spaced bike, take out some spacers) Check ebay for deals on used tubular wheels. I know ATPJunkie has scored some GREAT deals there.

I train and race on some Tufo T-34s. Tough tires. Not too good at any one thing tho. 'Slidey' is my best description. Since I do train and race on the same tires, I wanted something with some volume. For race only, I'd go 30c. I have a pair of T-28s that I've been using as a 'spare' that I'll probably mount for next racing season and get some different tires for next spring/summer/training.

HTH,

M

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Grifos

have super supple sidewalls. if you ride on rocky stuff and crappy stuff get the Tufo T-32's or 34's or the Vittoria EVO's. The EVOs have more side tread and a puncture belt but are a bit heavier. my buddy rode them last eyar and liked them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.