Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Bone idle wanker
742 Posts
Its starting to sound like Rabobank could give the USPS "Most sophisticated doping program ever" a run for their money.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I think once the layers get peeled back, it will be shorter to list which teams didn't have a program in the late 90's. CSC was pretty good at it, ONCE and ONCE part 2 (Liberty Seguaros), Festina, Telekom, Kelme, and Mapei all seemed pretty good at hiding it for years which leaves me to believe the others were likely doing it too, just not as good.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I think once the layers get peeled back, it will be shorter to list which teams didn't have a program in the late 90's. CSC was pretty good at it, ONCE and ONCE part 2 (Liberty Seguaros), Festina, Telekom, Kelme, and Mapei all seemed pretty good at hiding it for years which leaves me to believe the others were likely doing it too, just not as good.
With all due respect, Kelme was too busy giving people the wrong blood to be good at doping. :p

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems like the only real difference is the approach. How blatantly did the team get involved in doping? Did they pass the drugs out? Or did they give the riders the phone number for a doping Doctor, a wink and a speech about getting results?

Both wrong. The second harder to hold sponsors and directors accountable for.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They all mentioned cortisone. How exactly does it help?

I ask because around ten years ago a college sports doc gave me a cortisone shot in the IT band (I almost puked) and I'm wondering if I should turn myself in to the authorities.
If you turn yourself in, they might ship you off to a black box dopers prison. If you see Kevin Livingston tell him we've all been wondering what happened to him.

·
Registered
19,411 Posts
But seriously, how does cortisone help?

For me it was used to treat a crippling overuse injury. If a rider has such an injury, I say go for it! Aside from that use is there a performance enhancing use?
It has several uses but most likely Booger used it to reduce pain. It was commonly used in TT's or in the final Km's of a race

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They all mentioned cortisone. How
But seriously, how does cortisone help?

For me it was used to treat a crippling overuse injury. If a rider has such an injury, I say go for it! Aside from that use is there a performance enhancing use?
Here is an explanation, in layman's terms, from the Cleveland clinic. It covers the basics, what is it, what does it do, how is it different from steroids that act like male sex hormones.

Corticosteroids

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Here is an explanation, in layman's terms, from the Cleveland clinic. It covers the basics, what is it, what does it do, how is it different from steroids that act like male sex hormones.

Corticosteroids
Yeah, it kills muscle pain fast - as in gone. I've gotten shots a few times for back injuries (to the back muscles). Freaking unbelievable how well the stuff works - I've gone from needing Vicodin several times a day to nada and felt awesome . For the last week of a GT it probably feels like you are nearly as fresh as the first.

·
Bone idle wanker
742 Posts
In theory, neither do I. The problem is that some of those treatments also have performance enhancing benefits concurrent with their therapeutic benefits.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be honest I don't have much of an issue with an athlete using medical treatment to treat symptoms from an exceedingly painful injury.
Neither does anyone else. That's why athletes can get exemptions to use various drugs (Armstrong covered up his cortisone use with a back dated rx).

Though if someone has a legit bad disc (or RSI, etc..) hurting enough to need cortisone shots, the likely aren't gonna do so well in the Tour.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.