Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Headlight (Exposure Maxx-D), tail light (Orfos Flare), rear helmet light (Blitzu), and (2) more Blitzu lights for the frame as "auxiliary" lights got to be too much at the end of last season...had to get a USB charging hub to get everything charged in one shot.

I went for a "non-charging" visibility method via LIT tires. While not quite a Revo setup, hoping they make a difference this season. Picked them up for less than $20/ea. when on sale. They are marked as 28mm, but don't seem much wider than my 25mm Conti 4000sII...wheels are 23mm Belgiums:

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle fork

Tire Wheel Mode of transport Bicycle wheel Automotive lighting

Anyone else using these? If so, how are they holding up? I'll most likely just use these four early and late season.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but how do they ride?
Not sure..only rode once around the parking lot. Felt a little soft in the rear as I normally run 85/95, in my normal 23mm Conti 4 Seasons...may need to run these a little higher to get the same feel as these are a little wider.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
How visible are they from the rear? It always seems to me that reflectivity from the side is of very limited use. Reflection only works when you're in the headlight beam, and if you were on a collision course crossing in front of a vehicle I don't think you'd be seen soon enough to help.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Well, there is always getting t-boned... I suppose anything helps.
It can't hurt. But the t-bone is exactly the situation I was considering. That happens when you cross in front of a vehicle at an intersection. By the time you're in the headlight beam, it's generally going to be too late for a driver to stop, seems to me.

I suppose it can't hurt, but I think reflections visible from the rear or off-angle do much more. These may be somewhat helpful from those angles, depending on how far around the tire the reflective area wraps. That was my original question.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't check effectiveness from the rear/side-rear, though I'll check tonight, since my Orfos tail light is basically a lantern, with near 360 deg. visibility, that also illuminates the front triangle and my legs. Also, my headlight is 2200-2400 lumens, and illuminates the ground fairly well, which doesn't always get drowned out by approaching headlights and street lights, if I run on high.

These tires seem to be fairly effective with indirect light, and my main purpose was to have some sort of illumination that will identify me as a bike (previously done with supplemental frame lights), and provide better proximity for oncoming drivers, without having to charge something, and worrying about it's remaining run-time.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
These tires seem to be fairly effective with indirect light, and my main purpose was to have some sort of illumination that will identify me as a bike
That's certainly a good impulse, and I suspect these tires give significant return from a rear angle.

On my commuting bikes, I have put strips of reflective tape on the inside surface of the rims. With the tapes at intervals and not continuous, a driver approaching from behind (but not directly behind) sees a sort of rotating strobe effect that fairly screams "bicycle." I also have reflective tape on the crankarms, which also communicates bicycle-type motion.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How visible are they from the rear? It always seems to me that reflectivity from the side is of very limited use. Reflection only works when you're in the headlight beam, and if you were on a collision course crossing in front of a vehicle I don't think you'd be seen soon enough to help.

They are actually better than I'd have thought from behind:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
They are actually better than I'd have thought from behind:]
Yeah, pretty impressive. Even straight on they add something, and at 15 degrees or so as in that second shot, they are strong.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
However I've been steering away from the 4000s, due to a rash of easy punctures, and sidewall failures, in favor of the 4 Seasons.
That's also been my experience with the GP4000s vs 4 Season, but I like the former enough to put up with it.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I don't know...Just seems like they are no better than the white graphics on your bike. I think you're better off with powered lights.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
the LIT is not exclusive to Eleven Gear. They are a popular tire and can be puchased at many online retailers.

Here is a video showing the reflectivity. It's actually pretty good!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel

Here are my GP4000s.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts