Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on my way home from work today, and realized my back tire was a little low, so I stopped by the LBS to use the air pump. Figured I should probably get a couple spare tubes while I was there too since I used my last one a couple weeks ago. So I go in and ask about the pump (turned out it was outside on the sidewalk), and then say I'm looking for a couple tubes too.

They guy takes me over to the shelf, and asks what size I need, and I tell him "700x23, and I need the schraeder valve. The other ones don't fit my rims." So he digs around, we find one, and he tells me he can check in the back for another. I buy my 2 tubes, then head out to use the compressor. Then I realize that I don't have a valve adapter on me, and have to pull out the super awkward little hand pump.

That was when I realied I'm a moron. I needed Presta valves, not shraeder. So I go back into the store and explain that I'm an idiot, and ask if I can swap them. They guy who had been helping me before kinda laughed and says "I thought it was kinda odd that you were looking for schraeder in that size, its kinda rare. But you seemed to know what you were talking about.

Fail.:mad2: :mad2:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
randi_526 said:
That was when I realied I'm a moron. I needed Presta valves, not shraeder. So I go back into the store and explain that I'm an idiot, and ask if I can swap them. They guy who had been helping me before kinda laughed and says "I thought it was kinda odd that you were looking for schraeder in that size, its kinda rare. But you seemed to know what you were talking about.

It coulda been worse...you might have asked for directions to the nearest Pizza Hut.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
No worries, I prefer the skeptical tube buyer (STB) myself because they come in with a piece of paper and if the tube you hand them tube has ANY numbers different than on the paper they get really paranoid and skeptical. Ex: Comes in with 700x23 on a piece of paper but when you hand them a 700x18-25 tube they do the transaction but seem leery the whole time as if you are really trying to pull one over

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
firstrax said:
You need shoes.
omg shoes....
These shoes rule

these shoes suck.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
randi_526 said:
So I'm on my way home from work today, and realized my back tire was a little low, so I stopped by the LBS to use the air pump. Figured I should probably get a couple spare tubes while I was there too since I used my last one a couple weeks ago. So I go in and ask about the pump (turned out it was outside on the sidewalk), and then say I'm looking for a couple tubes too.

They guy takes me over to the shelf, and asks what size I need, and I tell him "700x23, and I need the schraeder valve. The other ones don't fit my rims." So he digs around, we find one, and he tells me he can check in the back for another. I buy my 2 tubes, then head out to use the compressor. Then I realize that I don't have a valve adapter on me, and have to pull out the super awkward little hand pump.

Smoof.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Your seat is not level.
What's the difference between schrader and presta? Is one faster?

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Peanya said:
Your seat is not level.
What's the difference between schrader and presta? Is one faster?
i hurd lanse armstrawng yoozes won of eech

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
The amazing thing about that story is that at some point you actually tried to put Schrader valved tubes in your 700x23 tires.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Peanya said:
Then I'm getting two! I need all the halp I can get!
silly nub, ur biek onlee haz 2 tirez...1 wif shradur, 1 wif prezta...if u getz 2 of each, u haz 2 sets of tierz

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
old_fuji said:
silly nub, ur biek onlee haz 2 tirez...1 wif shradur, 1 wif prezta...if u getz 2 of each, u haz 2 sets of tierz
but, then how does you rotate them

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DrSmile said:
The amazing thing about that story is that at some point you actually tried to put Schrader valved tubes in your 700x23 tires.
yeah.... I did. But between me and my roommates theres about 10 bikes around, in various stages of assembly, with random parts around. I found a spare tube one day and tried to use it, it was Schrader, didn't work.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
teoteoteo said:
No worries, I prefer the skeptical tube buyer (STB) myself because they come in with a piece of paper and if the tube you hand them tube has ANY numbers different than on the paper they get really paranoid and skeptical. Ex: Comes in with 700x23 on a piece of paper but when you hand them a 700x18-25 tube they do the transaction but seem leery the whole time as if you are really trying to pull one over

the ones that I hate are "27 or 700" tubes.

come on. we know it's going to have 4 extra inches of tube that won't fit in the tire.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The actual technical term is.........

You need the skinny valves (cause that's what you are trying to acheive)
The fat valves are what you were when you bought the bike with the skinny valves.
See clear as a bell

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.