Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably like a lot of the folks on this forum with a full-time job and family. About the only time I can get solid riding in during the week is during the early mornings; however I have to admit that I am not a morning person and it is a huge struggle for me. The evenings I always want to devote to my wife and kids.

Anyone have tips on getting the mojo to ride in the mornings? And early for me means super early--to make it back and shower and get to work on time. Starting well before 6am. I try to get in about 3 or even 4 hours of riding in on the weekends, but the week is usually fast runs after work and very little cycling. I want to enjoy every moment with my kids . . . but do miss riding more.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
174 Posts
One obvious solution is to commute to work. Incorporate something you already have to do with cycling.

But on the subject of being a morning person. I'm in your same boat. For far too long early morning was anything before 10am. In my high school and college years I routinely slept in until the afternoon.

After having kids I am simply unable to sleep in. Someone screaming is incentive enough to get up. And then, when they were a little older, someone destroying stuff downstairs is incentive to get up. After years and years of simply doing what I had to do I've been broken. My kids are old enough and responsible enough now that I could work towards sleeping in again but my body just does it. I hate it every morning. I grumble and stumble but I still get up and more often than not I'm the first person to do so. I swear, I've turned into the dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

View attachment 314250

This isn't really nice advice but in my experience I don't think there's any way around it: if you want to get up early to ride your bike you're simply going to have to exercise the willpower to do so. After some time your body and psychology will adapt and it'll become the new normal. Much like grinding up a hill you just have to learn how to accept suffering.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I took 1hr of PTO this morning just so I could muster up the motivation to ride in. That really is the hardest part of the ride- packing up, putting on the bike clothes, and finally getting my ass out there.

We already get flex time, so my hours are 10-6 (I hate commuting during peak rush hour, even on the trains.) But I have a ton of unused PTO so figured why not put it toward some even-lazier mornings.

The commute is much better incentive to ride than just getting up and riding in a big circle. It only takes 30 extra minutes each way on the bike than on the train (not counting showers etc.) Such a perfect way to take back that commuting time. What's your commute like?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am probably like a lot of the folks on this forum with a full-time job and family. About the only time I can get solid riding in during the week is during the early mornings; however I have to admit that I am not a morning person and it is a huge struggle for me. The evenings I always want to devote to my wife and kids.

Anyone have tips on getting the mojo to ride in the mornings? And early for me means super early--to make it back and shower and get to work on time. Starting well before 6am. I try to get in about 3 or even 4 hours of riding in on the weekends, but the week is usually fast runs after work and very little cycling. I want to enjoy every moment with my kids . . . but do miss riding more.

Thanks for any input!
Force the early wake up for 2 or so weeks and then it will become habit. For the last 4 years, I have been getting up at 4am to get my rides in before I have to deal with getting the rest of my day started. I either do a quick 10 mile pre-dawn road ride or an hour on the trainer in the paincave.

Figure out what works for you and make it happen. Family time is important but so is the riding.

Life is what you make of it, make it enjoyable!

EEC

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
1) Commute
2) Indoor trainer
3) Lunch rides

If you hate the morning - why not ride late at night? Buy some lights & what not and go out for an hour.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not a morning person either and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as riding schedules are concerned. I set my alarm for 6am on weekdays... and I'm usually on my route by 6:15-6:30. I ride a 30 minute, 7.5 mile ride and I usually have plenty of time to eat breakfast, shower, etc, before work at 8am. I have to start riding before 6:30 because if I'm any later, I run into school traffic. There are 3 schools on my 7-mile loop and it sucks trying to navigate through that mess when I leave out too late and get caught up in it. Thankfully, school will be out soon for about 3 months and I'll be able to sleep in a little later. Riding early has it's advantages... I was only passed by 3 cars this morning on my route, which is very nice and much safer than any departure past 7:30am.

I NEVER ride in my town in the evenings. It's way too dangerous. Too many soccer moms driving while looking at their smart phones and ******** with jacked up trucks who hate cyclists and everything we stand for.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The "mojo" has to come from you, it's hard to help someone acquire the motivation to get up in the morning to ride. You can help to motivate yourself if you have a goal - lose x lbs; train for a big ride; get a new bike if you ride x miles this year; whatever works for you.

You can do some things to make it a little harder to stay in bed and/or easier to get going:
- put the alarm far enough away so that you can't hit snooze without getting out of bed;
- have everything ready the night before (bottles filled, tires pumped, clothes laid out), so all you have to do is get dressed, swing your leg over the bike and go;
- tell someone about your plans, so you'll feel committed to doing the ride;
- ask your SO to kick you out of the bed;
- go to bed a little earlier;
- other?

--------------

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you (3 kids under 8) and ride to work is not an option (34 miles each way).

But, I am able to work from home 1-2 days per week ad hoc. On these days I will usually book a 11-1 lunch 'meeting' on my calendar and go sneak in a 90 minute ride.

Once school is out, I ride 1-2 times per week before work (starting 6am). The key here is to ride with a friend. When you know someone is meeting you to ride, the motivation is much easier to find. I know the couple of times when my friend could not make it, I slept in every time.

Night rides are fun in theory, but something always seems to get in the way. Starting at 10pm is too late to make sense.

·
Registered
239 Posts
- have everything ready the night before (bottles filled, tires pumped, clothes laid out), so all you have to do is get dressed, swing your leg over the bike and go;
----
:thumbsup:

This is great advice. When I first started riding in the mornings, I would waste 5-10 minutes trying to find everything I needed for the ride along with pumping up tires.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Get a cat. They will always ensure you get out of bed to make them breakfast.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
HTFU starts with the alarm... really.

I ride 3 or 4 days/week in the early am. My alarm is set for 5:00am. The trick is to just get up. Don't think. Don't lay there. Don't flop around. NEVER use snooze. JUST GET UP.

Eventually, you'll be on autopilot. You really won't start to think about not getting up until you're brushing your teeth or getting dressed. It will be come a habit.

My weekday rides are - on average - made up of 8-12 guys. I'd guess 2 of them would say they're "morning people".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As always, great input on this forum! I will take some of this advice to heart. My main motivation is to actually ride a sub 5 hour century in late July, or at least get close to the 5 hour mark, so I'll try to use that as motivation.

I'd have to say another motivation is just the satisfaction of riding more than 5 hours a week or so, which I'm doing right now. It would be great to up it to 8 hours. Esp. since I'm pretty much fully recovered from a bad injury I had last year.

Does anyone do a tough morning ride workout or are they usually a pretty easy spin?

The "mojo" has to come from you, it's hard to help someone acquire the motivation to get up in the morning to ride. You can help to motivate yourself if you have a goal - lose x lbs; train for a big ride; get a new bike if you ride x miles this year; whatever works for you.

You can do some things to make it a little harder to stay in bed and/or easier to get going:
- put the alarm far enough away so that you can't hit snooze without getting out of bed;
- tell someone about your plans, so you'll feel committed to doing the ride;
- ask your SO to kick you out of the bed;
- go to bed a little earlier;
- other?

--------------

·
Registered
174 Posts
For a few months I had a 3 mile triangle route that I would race myself. I enjoyed it and it was short enough that I could sleep long enough but still make it to work. But I felt like it was too short to really make any progress. Transferring to commuting to work (9.5 miles) I was able to maintain a bit of a race (don't want to be late). But I also go through a fair bit of downtown and the associated lights introduce enough uncontrollable variability that I can be fairly zen about my results. Couple that with the return ride home I feel I get enough minutes and miles to make at least modest improvements.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't think a stranger on the internet can help you get motivated but I will say that no matter how hard it is to drag my butt out there I'm really glad I did once I start moving. I'm usually a morning person but I do have my days where it's tough to get going and I've never regretted going once I start......unless it rains.

"Does anyone do a tough morning ride workout or are they usually a pretty easy spin?"

Generally I go really hard on super early morning work day rides. Time is limited and I'm definitely at my best, physically, first thing in the morning so I take advantage of it. Although if I'm not recovered and want to ride just for recreation I will go for an easy spin. Despite living in a crowded city early morning rides are quite scenic and enjoyable with the sun coming up over the ocean and very few cars so it doesn't have to be 'all business' but generally is for early work day rides.

Unfortunately, I only get a few months of good pre-work rides. Later in the year when the sun comes up later by the time there's light there's to much traffic in the city.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
  • Go to bed early enough you wake up rested without an alarm clock. For me that means about seven hours before I want to be up.
  • Go to bed at the same time every day. Have a hard stop at work and on other things so that can happen.
  • Don't drink alcohol because it interferes with your sleep. I've had two beers this year.
  • Drink caffeine in moderation. I'm down to two cans of diet coke five days a week.

Although I was a night owl, that has me waking up early every day ready to ride although I take Sundays off.

I wake up at 5:45 because my last VP was planning on a 10am daily meeting, and have kept doing it because the roads are nice and empty in the morning.

It's easy once it becomes a habit - in the last year I've only missed one day from being sick plus the month after breaking my collarbone and spraining my AC joint.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts