Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a redline cross bike with the stock aluminum fork and it's got a marked stutter when hitting the brakes. It's not totally uncontrollable but those blades are flappin' pretty good. I'd like to upgrade as the frame feels pretty light and fits well. Looking for carbon. Looking for big clearance so I can run some big fatties up front if I want. Anybody know what lightish fork has the most clearance? I'm 190-200#'s so I'm not looking for super duper light stuff, just high quality, good riding stuff. Thanks :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fork chatter

This shuddering is called fork chatter and is common in cyclocross
single bikes with canti brakes.It is the brake grabbing the rim,the
fork/top/headtube flexing,then breaking free,then happening again.One
framemaker I had attacked the problem by using a larger top tube and
headtube.A stiffer fork was no help.

As the brake pad seats to the rim with use,it is able to grab
better.Things that help are a hard pad compound,tons of toe-in,and frequent
brake adjustment.Move your pads frequently so they don't seat.

I have confirmed this by using a disc/canti fork on the same frame.I
never had a problem with the disc brake,and chatter would occur with the
canti brake.It was worst when is was damp or humid.OK when dry or
raining,but bad when damp.It is a pain.

Both the Alpha Q and the new Reynolds will get up to a 45,depending on the shape of the tire.I don't know about a Winwood. But don't expect them to end your chatter problem.

dan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stiffer fork-no help?

What? So this is a frame stiffness problem and not a fork problem? Now I'm quite confused!

Dan Cas said:
This shuddering is called fork chatter and is common in cyclocross
single bikes with canti brakes.It is the brake grabbing the rim,the
fork/top/headtube flexing,then breaking free,then happening again.One
framemaker I had attacked the problem by using a larger top tube and
headtube.A stiffer fork was no help.

As the brake pad seats to the rim with use,it is able to grab
better.Things that help are a hard pad compound,tons of toe-in,and frequent
brake adjustment.Move your pads frequently so they don't seat.

I have confirmed this by using a disc/canti fork on the same frame.I
never had a problem with the disc brake,and chatter would occur with the
canti brake.It was worst when is was damp or humid.OK when dry or
raining,but bad when damp.It is a pain.

Both the Alpha Q and the new Reynolds will get up to a 45,depending on the shape of the tire.I don't know about a Winwood. But don't expect them to end your chatter problem.

dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
The fork

The original steel fork was 1mm walls.They built me one with 1.2mm walls.It was much worse,more violent shaking.It is the rubber pads grabbing the rim and releasing.Put on hard pads,tow the pads wildly.I usually run the fronts with the long part out front.Yes,backwards.It weakens them a lot,but reduces chatter.

If you do a search,there was a fix that was some special pads.

dan

·
Registered
303 Posts
FlatlandRoller said:
I've got a redline cross bike with the stock aluminum fork and it's got a marked stutter when hitting the brakes. It's not totally uncontrollable but those blades are flappin' pretty good. I'd like to upgrade as the frame feels pretty light and fits well. Looking for carbon. Looking for big clearance so I can run some big fatties up front if I want. Anybody know what lightish fork has the most clearance? I'm 190-200#'s so I'm not looking for super duper light stuff, just high quality, good riding stuff. Thanks :)
I'm 140lbs and recently got an Empella Bonfire w/ Empella carbon fork and Paul's Neo Retro front brake. I've been riding this bike pretty hard on some very technical singletrack trails (tons of rocks and roots) and I don't have any fork chatter. And, clearance is huge (I'll take a pic tonight to show you). I'm impressed!

M.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I recently saw an 07 Redline Conquest Pro (i think thats what it was, Scandium tubes, painted black, super light) bike at one of our Wed Night Mtb races. Team rider Dan Norton was showing it off. It had a new Ritchey WCS carbon fork & that thing has the most clearance I've ever seen. Its really light too. I may try one out since i can get a good price on one & the WCS road fork i have has been good to me.

DP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.