Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to ask what is the most expensive bike you know of. Post pix if you can. People at work think I am insane to pay more for my bikes than one could buy a car for & give me the evil eye when I tell them my bikes are barely midrange. What have you seen truly outrageously priced?

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
venus said:
I just have to ask what is the most expensive bike you know of. Post pix if you can. People at work think I am insane to pay more for my bikes than one could buy a car for & give me the evil eye when I tell them my bikes are barely midrange. What have you seen truly outrageously priced?
BMC TT for ~14k is the highest I know of... :eek:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=1832

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
During the last olympics I recall them saying that some of those trackbikes were in the 20k range.

I don't think it would be too tough to build a 15k bike. I'm going to try. Results soon...

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Merckx Carbon AXM Frame & Fork: $4800
Full Record Group (Carbon Cranks, Zero Gravity brakes, Record Pedals): $2130
Lightweight Carbon Tubulars (either Ventoux or Obermayer): $5500

Still gotta buy tires, stem, bars, computer, and saddle. Don't know the really chi-chi stuff there, but we're at $12,430 already.

If you went with a custom ti or steel frame from one of the better builders, you could probably spec the frame higher than $4800. Also, some of the Time "modules" are over $5k too.

· Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alienator said:
Project Goldmember bike at Fairwheel Bikes, in Tucson. It's got to be somewhere in the 15-20k range. Woz would know for sure since he built it.

Woz?
Who is the "alienator"? I see this same avitar on other sites. Who is it?

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
There will always be "specials" that break the 10k barrier. But, among those that regular people can go out and buy on a Saturday afternoon at their LBS, I think these two are pretty darn close to the pinnacle.

Serotta MeiVici: $7095 frame only, no fork

MeiVici

Serotta Ottrot ST: $5395 frame only, no fork

Ottrot

Add $630 to $710 for an F3 fork. Or, you could take the cheapskate route and shell out $530 for a painted Ouzo Pro.

Serotta Forks

So, a nice little MeiVici checks in at ~$7800 before you add any parts. :rolleyes:

Makes a Colnago Extreme-C seem like a bargain at $4400 for frame and fork, doesn't it?

· Banned
2,767 Posts
To that you can add the Temple Colibri which is $6500 for a frameset. If you completely lack taste, you can order this abortion from Seven, the Diamas which as a complete bike ranges between $7000 and $13,868. Spin will make you a gorgeous CF Intro CM for only 4980.....euros, that is. Oh, wait, that's $6243, no fork included.

People might be less than pleasantly surprised when they add up what they've got in their rides. It do add up quickly.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
I like those Temple bikes, but sheesh, $6500 for a frame? Maybe when my company stock goes back to $200 and I get my ocean front house on 17-mile drive. It would be the jam for weaving among the touristas.

Or maybe not.
Yeah, they're pretty, but the cost of admission to that show is muy steep. I don't know what Lance J. puts into those frames, but it is tough to see where the price comes from. But it's also pretty tough to see how Serotta gets its price for the Meivici or Seven get its price for The Thing. For around $4500 or so you can get a Parlee Z1x with the geometry that best tickles your senses. Heck, I can't even see shelling out the 5+ G's for an IF XS. Not that it's not a good bike, but it don't wow me. But hey, neither does the Meivici or the Diamas. Geez. What was seven thinking? "Let's see how much we can get customers to pay for the ugliest bike possible!!!"

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. There are more than a few people that think that $2300 is too much for a Moots frame.

· Registered
129 Posts

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Surely, it's always a matter of perspective and everyone has their Obscenity Thresholds. Time was when I'd never consider spending more than 2 large for a frame. These days, 3 grand still makes me mildly nauseous, and so I've not yet spent it. Both of my top shelvers - the Moots and the Parlee were shop demos that I managed to snag for less than 2K. Even though I clearly do not hestitate to spend money, there is absolutely no way I'd ever consider shelling out 4+ for a frame, let alone 6, 7 or 8. The thing is, I know in my heart of hearts (or maybe butt of butts) that those stratosphere bikes are not going to so "wow" me that I'm going to say my Moots pales in comparison. Or my Parlee or my friggin' $420 Bianchi Boron XL closeout from eBay for that matter. Sometimes it pays to be a Philistine with Plebian tastes.

In those price ranges it has to be more about convincing yourself you've got something really, really special. And I'm just not that gullible, even when it's me doing the convincing.

But then there will always be the crowd that buys because it's the most expensive thing on the road. Relative to them, I'm much more the "quantity over quality" type.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Dude, Competitive Cyclist, you can get that BMC up to 23.5 grand.
actually maybe it was more like 25.5? 24.5? oh whatever.
-estone2

· Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
Surely, it's always a matter of perspective and everyone has their Obscenity Thresholds. Time was when I'd never consider spending more than 2 large for a frame. These days, 3 grand still makes me mildly nauseous, and so I've not yet spent it. Both of my top shelvers - the Moots and the Parlee were shop demos that I managed to snag for less than 2K. Even though I clearly do not hestitate to spend money, there is absolutely no way I'd ever consider shelling out 4+ for a frame, let alone 6, 7 or 8. The thing is, I know in my heart of hearts (or maybe butt of butts) that those stratosphere bikes are not going to so "wow" me that I'm going to say my Moots pales in comparison. Or my Parlee or my friggin' $420 Bianchi Boron XL closeout from eBay for that matter. Sometimes it pays to be a Philistine with Plebian tastes.

In those price ranges it has to be more about convincing yourself you've got something really, really special. And I'm just not that gullible, even when it's me doing the convincing.

But then there will always be the crowd that buys because it's the most expensive thing on the road. Relative to them, I'm much more the "quantity over quality" type.
I hear ya. Iffin' I get another bike, it'll more than likely be a Parlee. I wouldn't expect it to be any great improvement on my Moots, cuz I have no complaints about my Compact: it just seems right, which is the best thing I think you can say about a bike. I expect the Parlee would just be different, and that's why I'd buy it.....that and because of the craftsmanship in the things. I've been drooling on the Parlee (Project Goldmember) frame at Fairwheel, and no matter how closely I inspect the frame, I can't find a flaw. Parlee must bleed copiously from his anus, what with how anal he must be. Still, no matter how good it looked, I wouldn't keep it if it didn't ride the way I wanted it to.

I'm obviously not a quantity guy, like you. I have a more narrowed focus. And I'm not a "must have the most expensive thing" guy, but if a part is well made (in the Frank Lloyd Wright sense, not the covergirl sense), the cost isn't so much a barrier. That said, I'd be afraid to see which I've spent more time on in the last year, working on my PhD or researching/reading up on parts for the Mootsie. After this thread started I added costs to my build spreadsheet, and when I summed that column, I clutched my chest, stumbled backwards muttering "I'm comin' Elizabeth....." Damn, I didn't know it was that much. Oh well, it's every day useable.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
alienator said:
Spin will make you a gorgeous CF
Hey, your frame has finally arrived :D I'll lets you know how it fairs in testing. It's looking promising though at 965g (frame + F & R hanger), a torsional stiffness of 101Nm/°, and alignment is 100% accurate...never seen anything quite like it.

Size 58 non-sloping geometry (57TT, 15.4cm HT)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.