Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
TAbiker said:
What is the most important upgrade one can make? (Other than the rider)
contact points: saddle, shoes hood/bars. You can't make yourself suffer going fast if you are suffering from bad contact points.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Everyone ought to be able to spot their own weakest link. For example, if you ride an old '93 aluminum GT with 8 sp Dura Ace, then probably the frame or perhaps the wheels. More often than not, it's gonna be one of those two things.

·
Registered
498 Posts
little upgrades that have made me the happiest (assuming you bought a bike which fits and has a seat that you like):

1) Tacx tao bottle cages ... my first cages were hard to use and rattled.
2) 25mm tire on the rear (alloy frame) to soften the ride a tad (I'm around 190 - 200 lbs).
3) Skewers with internal cams (ie Shimano and some others), as I find the action much smoother and more pleasant to use than the ones with a cam'ed lever and curved washer.
4) Avid roller-magic (onto shimano DA7700 rear deraileur), lowers the lever force for shifting ... not super pretty, but def improvement in shifting ... $US10

So, yeah, if you're talking about big money, then frame, wheels, carbon bars, carbon post etc, but if not ...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Top 10, in order

1. Proper size frame
2. Wheels
3. Tires/tubes
4. Proper cassette for terrain
5. Saddle
6. Bars
7. Stem
8. Seat post
9. shifters
10. Rear derailleur

·
Registered
994 Posts
A fancy bright tail light. This upgrade might actually save a rider's life.

I recommend the Planet Bike Super Flash on less than $25 price range.

If you can afford it, the over $100 Dinotte tail light is bright beyond anything out there.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
Wheels that are appropriate for your weight and style of riding. The bonus with wheels is that you can transfer them to just about any frame that you decide to get in the future or if you want to demo a new bike, do it with your own wheels.

·
Registered
994 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
my lights are my bar end plugs, does anyone else have thease?
I have ridden with those in the past. The ones powered by small button batteries seemed too dim to me.

Trek and SOMA now have brighter versions that are powered by a single AAA battery that are definitely brighter and I have these on mine.

NOTE: The shape is longer than those button battery powered ones, so these will not fit in all bars. Fits my FSA shallow drops just fine.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Crank, followed by saddle and pedals

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Legs. (eg. time with the bike)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts