Eric Zabel

Least likeable:
Robbie McEwen
Gilberto Simoni
Andreas Kloden

???

· Registered
429 Posts
Having not met or spent time with any pro cyclists, my opinion may be an unfair assessment of their true personalities; molded strictly by my perceptions based on what might or might not be accurate from TV & magazine interviews, racing, etc.

That being said, mine are:

Least likeable:

1. Robbie McEwen (without a doubt - just seems so obnoxious, a real pr!%k)) - but a very talented sprinter
2. Gilberto Simoni (distant second)

Most likeable:

1. Cadel Evans
2. Floyd Landis
3. Eric Zabel
4. Pietro Caucchioli
5. Alexander Vinokourov
6. Tom Boonen

· Registered
144 Posts
Do I like Jerks?

Favorite Sprinter: McEwen
Favorite GC: Kloden

Most: Ullrich, Basso, Landis, Vino
Least: Simoni- makes bogus claims and whines

Armstrong to me is pretty intense for my liking. His focus on cancer comes from the right place but he appears to look for every opportunity to discredit/ disagree with someone's analysis when being interviewed. One would say the sky is blue, and he would say it is a hue from the turquoise family with an overtone of teal. He has a big problem with always having to be right.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Favorite rider overall: Ekimov, no matter what he is a professional.
Favorite rider for the sport: Sandy Casar. He is a fans rider, he will sign autographs until everyone who wants one has one. Even after he left FDJ, he still attended their fan club events to spend time with the people who cheer him on. He knows that he is fortunate to do what he loves for a living and never forgets it.
Favorite retired rider: Gianni Bugno.

Least favorite: Malcolm Elliot. I had the misfortune to ride a crit with him in the 90's when he was with Chevy/LA Sheriffs. What a whiny b*tch. Craven and Copeland were off the front about to lap us and all he could do was complain about his team. Didn't even block or chase down flyers.

Least favorite who grew on me late in his career: Laurant Fignon. In his final years riding for Gatorade, I was so happy to see him win a stage in the TDF on a long break.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
My Nominations:

Most likeable (i''ll take two of yours and add one)

Jens Voigt

Eric Zabel

Chechu Ruberia

Least likeable: (i'll add a few more)

Robbie McEwen

Gilberto Simoni

Andreas Kloden

Bettini - if he was a soccer player then he'd be a notorious diver

Cadel Evans - thick as a stump, and the whiniest voice ever

· Registered
126 Posts
I really haven't a clue having never met any of them. It's like the golf scene: US white male fans love Mickelson, but his fellow PGA players despise him.

I got a kick out of Jens Voight's cheerful-child manner in the documentary Overcoming. I understand Zabel is very personable.

McEwen acts up in public, but not a badly behaved as Lemond or young Lance years ago, IMHO. Still, I really like these guys also for what they do, I just wouldn't sit down to hoist a beer with them.

· Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
I never like high school and the high school mentality...

I'm not so into this whole popularity contest thing. I don't follow cycling to shop for a wife. That being said I fine the dislike for Bettini to be a bit odd. He's great cyclist and I know from experience that he's a nice person. Yes he has muffed a few finishes but to make a negative judgement of the man based that is just plain old superficial.

· Registered
545 Posts
FondriestFan said:
Most:

Jens Voigt
Floyd Landis
Chechu Rubiera
Savoldelli

Least:

Simoni
Kloden
Ullrich
Valverde
Beloki

Putting Ullrich on the least likable list?? Ullrich has been accused by some as being 'too nice of a guy'... and there are always photos of him smiling and joking around with other riders...other than this doping BS he's been known to act really respectful and sportsmanlike as well, so i don't see how he could be seen as not likable.

I hear that Landis is a great guy in person.

· Registered
172 Posts
Im from AUS and i can't stand cadel. He did an interview in a magazine a while back and he just came across as someone only doing it for the money. He even went to the extremes of saying that cycling was his job and that he only did it beacuse he was good at it. I can't remember it exactly or the magazine it was in, so don't hold me to it, but since then he's just come across as obnoxious to me.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Bryn said:
Im from AUS and i can't stand cadel. He did an interview in a magazine a while back and he just came across as someone only doing it for the money. He even went to the extremes of saying that cycling was his job and that he only did it beacuse he was good at it. I can't remember it exactly or the magazine it was in, so don't hold me to it, but since then he's just come across as obnoxious to me.
I bet you would be surprised how many riders in the peloton have that exact same attitude. The simple fact is they may have got into cycling because they liked it, but at the level they are at, it's a job and they treat it as such. Most of them don't go on and on about components, frame materials, etc. The bike is a tool, they ride what they are given and that's that.

Show me any professional athlete that isn't in it for the money. Name a sport, any sport.

The question is are they nice guys, aside from the fact that they are pro's?

· Registered
429 Posts
Bryn said:
Wow, sorry to hear that.

· Registered
429 Posts
elviento said:
Lance is probably a bigger pr*ck in real life but he is much more diplomatic with the media compared to Robbie and the tenacity does help people win races.
That may well be true. I've often wondered if LA has any true friends, or just people he's currently using. The book, "LA's War", paints that kind of picture of Lance. Before Heras left the team, Lance loved him, praised him left, right, & sideways, acknowledged his skills, "a really special talent" & the keystone of LA's 2002 win. But a few days after he left the team, Heras was referred to as Roberto Who?

· Registered
38 Posts
After watching "Hell on Wheels" I think Zabel is the nicest, warmest guy out in the peloton. He's always smiling.

Liking for just plain liking and a probably a fun guy to grab a beer, or two, or three with, Ullrich

Liking for cool factor, Boonen.

Liking for envy, Lance - although I hear first hand he's very full of himself.

Liking because I want to get to know him better so I can bang his sister, Basso.

Liking for honesty, Millar.

Liking for making a race more interesting, McEwen.

Roger Hammond seems like a good bloke too.

Dislikes:

Whining toddler, Simoni.
Lying little punk, Hamilton.
Dumbass who thinks he's a smartass, Dave Z.
Riis needs to get laid.
Johan needs to get that smirk off his face.
Bobke needs to get his nose out of Lance's ass
And for whatever reason, even though I'm sure he's a good guy, Hincape, he just seems like a goof.

· Michigoose
821 Posts
I don't know, I really like Dave Zee...a lot. Despite his sense of humor he actually strikes me as being very smart. Other than him, I really like Tom Boonen, Hincapie, Basso (before the Operación Puerta stuff), Landis, Tom Danielson, and a bunch of other dudes.

The ones I don't like are pretty much limited to Bobby Julich or anyone who incessantly talks sh*t about other teams/riders.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.