Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Get me to In&Out
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fixed a flat from a flat a few nights ago. I noticed there are 6 patches on it already. I don't want to toss it as I really like the polished 40mm valve stem. That is why I keep patching it. So I am up to seven on it. Anyone have a similar tube.

BTW, I keep new unpatched tubes as my spares on the rides as I don't like suprises when I am already fixing one flat roadside.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
The rear wheel of my commuter has three patches. Big problem here with thorns that puncture but act as a plug until you pull them out. I usually break it off flush and continue on to my destination. It makes it easy to patch since I only have to pull out the affected section of tube, put a park sticky on it, put it back in and pump. The park stick on patches work fine for my 90# pressure commuter tires. My race bike mileage wheelset has some patches, but I have no idea how many. I am pretty much anal about race wheels, no patches.

· Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
A tube has performed above and beyond the call of duty when it has about as many patches as a patch kit. By then, it’s on borrowed time, and is retired with an ‘honorable discharge’ and the appropriate commendations.

On a related note, I once rode off oblivious to the casing showing around about a third of the rear tire. I was about a dozen miles up the road when it let go. That tire was booted up with about $278 of US currency to get me home (which it did). What’s left of that tire hangs in the shop as a reminder... of brain fade.

· Registered
320 Posts
I usually only get to two patches, and then the tube is retired for other reasons. The other day some kid ran into me with a skateboard and broke the valve stem off...

AND HOLY CRAP a huge mosquito just flew by. I'm going to hunt it down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.