Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what the most popular/most effective OTC supplements are for cycling? Does anyone talk openly about this?

Other posts I searched seem to turn into 6th grade conversations... Seems odd there is so much available out there, but little actual discussion.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Water and food.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Most supplements don't really do much extra for you. Water, carbohydrates, and electrolytes are key to long duration high intensity exercise.

From a carb perspective, the use of a carbohydrate source that contains glucose (as glucose, sucrose, maltodextrin) in combination with fructose in a glucose:fructose ratio of 2:1 has been shown to maximize carb availability. That only leads to performance benefit if you are exercising for more than 1.5 hours when glucose availability becomes an issue.

Caffiene tends to have ergoenic effects. A recent review (Burke 2008) is pretty detailed on this topic.

Bicarb and other buffers work to increase lactate threshold. But the response/negative response to the dose is individual. Most people don't get it right and thus negate any positives.

Quicerin has some data coming out of AP state (can't remember the researcher).

But overall, supplements aren't worth the money other than for convience.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Eau et Pastis Olive

·
Registered
586 Posts
I starting to agree with sdeer that most are not worth the money. There are real food ways of getting your needs met. For anything over an 1.5 or so though I'll still stick with my Cytomax and sportlegs. The rest isn't worth it to me.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
On the bike I'll eat Honey Stinger chews. It's one of the few things that I actually want to eat on a ride, as opposed to something I know I should eat.
Before I just eat normal food and take Sportlegs.
After the ride I'll use Endurox R4 if I won't be eating a regular meal for a while, just to re-hydrate me and keep me from grazing on junk.

I've tried some of the more basic Hammer supplements, but they really didn't do much for me. YMMV.

For the most part, it is about convenience more than an incredible performance boost. I take a good multivitamin, Omega 3s, and a Vitamin D supplement, which help round out my often deficient diet.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
rydbyk said:
I think lots of cyclists use optygen as a supp. for race day and those really diff. club days only. They train w/o it most of the time correct?
The makers of Optygen recommend continued use for "many months". The guys I know that use it will take it daily throughout their season (training and racing) which is 8-10 months.

IMHO $500/year for 1 supp seems a bit excessive for a never-has-been, never-will-be.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
woodys737 said:
The makers of Optygen recommend continued use for "many months". The guys I know that use it will take it daily throughout their season (training and racing) which is 8-10 months.

IMHO $500/year for 1 supp seems a bit excessive for a never-has-been, never-will-be.
maybe i was thinking of sportlegs?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
rydbyk said:
maybe i was thinking of sportlegs?
Interestingly, the same guys I know that use Optygen don't seem to be big users of Sportlegs. Reading the threads regarding Sportlegs (Cal/Mag with Vit D and a bunch of Lactate) the general consensus is that there is no consensus. Again, a lot of money for a supp that may or may not do anything to aid performance. I would have to think that any supp that really increases performance in a measurable way would be banned/illegal to use for the big guys. So, I choose to save money by eating smart, getting quality sleep and training efficiently.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Out of curiosity, I tried this stuff called Dark Rage. You can get it at GNC or online I noticed a difference, and was able to maintain higher power numbers with less feeling of exertion. I compared identical rides one day to the next of 2 hrs and my avg heart rate was 10 bpm higher on the dark rage. I've read in other forums that the effects wane with regular use, but if you want to get a kick, that will do it. It also felt like I wanted to eat everything after a ride, but it could have been the nausea which is a known side effect.

·
but thinking about it
1,434 Posts
capt_phun said:
600mg of Ibuprofen before the ride
You may be interested in this article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

The most dramatic paragraph: "Those runners who’d popped over-the-counter ibuprofen pills before and during the race displayed significantly more inflammation and other markers of high immune system response afterward than the runners who hadn’t taken anti-inflammatories. The ibuprofen users also showed signs of mild kidney impairment and, both before and after the race, of low-level endotoxemia, a condition in which bacteria leak from the colon into the bloodstream."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great feedback... Thank you all. As a returning cyclist, milk, eggs and honey just weren't doing the trick.

On the bike, Accelerade Low Cal has done the trick for me. Having a glass an hour or two afterwards also really helps with cramps if the weather is hot. Haven't had much luck with the GU shots... likely because there's still too much fat to harvest in times of need for this older body. :)

Off the bike, IsoPure has been a good low-cal/low carb protein supplement. Combined with an OTC prohormone, it's helping build back a bunch of the muscle lost over the past 15-years of sitting around. Pretty amazing gains, especially where endurance is concerned. Muscle workload just keeps improving weekly, along with lung capacity and heartrate.

I'm going to check into the Optygen and BCAA... Appreciate the pointers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
scarab$ said:
Great feedback... Thank you all. As a returning cyclist, milk, eggs and honey just weren't doing the trick.

On the bike, Accelerade Low Cal has done the trick for me. Having a glass an hour or two afterwards also really helps with cramps if the weather is hot. Haven't had much luck with the GU shots... likely because there's still too much fat to harvest in times of need for this older body. :)

Off the bike, IsoPure has been a good low-cal/low carb protein supplement. Combined with an OTC prohormone, it's helping build back a bunch of the muscle lost over the past 15-years of sitting around. Pretty amazing gains, especially where endurance is concerned. Muscle workload just keeps improving weekly, along with lung capacity and heartrate.

I'm going to check into the Optygen and BCAA... Appreciate the pointers.

which OTC prohormane are you taking?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts