Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you decide.

ciao

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
& dont forget Fagor ....

the coolest name ever has to be Calzone - every atkins dieting cyclists dream bike.

good enough to eat !!!!!!

ciao

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
That's a classic.

Hello, I'd like to order a "framay" bike frame for $30 dollars.

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got flamed a long time ago ....

Speed_Metal said:
IRONhorse. Who the hell would want to ride a bicycle with the word "iron" anywhere near it?
for saying the same thing about Anvil bikes. Go figure.

ciao

·
Registered
12 Posts
Flamed? You're too fragile.

Spirito said:
for saying the same thing about Anvil bikes. Go figure.

ciao

I don't remember flaming you. I remember explaining the reasoning behind the name. In fact, that same explanation is still on the website, just as it was back then.

I also recall that back in those days your screen name was slang for the transgendered or something along those lines, wasn't it? I also recall you quickly changing it, and now, judging by your tag line, I see you're still overcompensating.....

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i see you have yet to learn grasshopper ...

Anvil said:
I don't remember flaming you. I remember explaining the reasoning behind the name. In fact, that same explanation is still on the website, just as it was back then.

I also recall that back in those days your screen name was slang for the transgendered or something along those lines, wasn't it? I also recall you quickly changing it, and now, judging by your tag line, I see you're still overcompensating.....
in case you forgot the meaning, reasoning and inference behind my name (in its former and latter form) i'll quote what i said to you back in round one ......

Spirito di Finocchio said:
Posted by: Spirito di Finocchio*Mar-15-02, 09:13 AM

It was my play on the traditional or autocued reverence cyclists can have for things of Italian origins. I like a world with a little irony and joviality. Its something I always thought was really funny (I hope not to offend with my choice of humor) - the Italian word for fennel is also a connotation or slang for homosexual. Go figure.

Its actually a joke about myself as well. Apart from a Vitus, an old Mercier and a Kenevans (australian - built by Ken Evans) all the bikes i have owned for the past 19 years and the two that i currently own are Italian. I'll stop at nothing when it comes to parody - even myself.

In my neighbourhood when I step outside for a ride in the lurid and lycra clad getups that I like, I am sure that I perplex half the men hanging on the stoops as they are assuming that that the attractive woman I am also seen to be holding hands with on oft occasion must be my sister.

Good to see that someone didn't really think my handle was was about being in the "spirit of fennel" but i hope it isnt a let down for some of you to know its inference isnt accurate either and that my choice in partner and pesuasion is a woman. That same woman was directly responsible for the choice of my handle as during the last Tour de France she was somewhat perplexed as to why i would suddenly turn to a zombie when the OLN broadcasts were on. It was with more than a chuckle when to my "defenses" about why i needed to watch this event daily and with religious fervour she noted, with a little taunt but not in total irony, her view that all sport was ****-erotic in nature. Fair call to her it did somewhat ring true as if you stood back watching yourself transfixed be men in their quests to prove their athleticism and supremity of their bodies in a male envieronment ... it is what it is. I guess with no surprise the greeks invented the olympics.

So when it came time to explain why I would spend an hour behind the computer "on some bike forum" I would claim that it was time for me to be my alter-ego "spirito di finnochio".

I Guess my bad for being matter of fact about my thought on the name "anvil". To be fair whilst i have not even seen let alone ridden one i have been privy to a noticeable amount of good comment and favorable impressions expressed from people who have ridden them - so much so that subconciously I do have an association of a nicely made, no bull$hit, top class steel frame when I see the mention of the name "anvil". I should have mentioned this in my earlier post to be fair.

In fact as a fan of steel i actually have admiration and praise for anyone building with it and pioneering characteristics of the material that were always known but fashionably passed up & forgotten. The fact that you guys do it well and for reasonable coin is to be commended.

I still however dont see the use of a builders or founders name along the downtube as pretentious or conceited. I have always liked the matter of factness and simplicity and I dont consider it egocentric or a case of chestbeating. I also think that making anything is an expression of yourself (philosophies, ideals, characteristics etc etc) and whats important to you, not just an investment or a money spinner. For some an association has come around due to the hype, which my forum handle is having a play at, that some have when you mention Colnago, DeRosa, Masi et al. The name is not always a guarantee as it in my view once was.

So we differ in opinion - no big deal.

Names ...names....names.... I guess were quibbling over semantics. A lot of what i post here is for a little chuckle and not always to be taken seriously. I guess im better left expressing it in person as its easily detected. I do agree that the function of a frame is infinitely more important than a name and that is whats most important its yours and if you felt good about it then that is ultimately all that matters.
Overcompensating ??? Hardly, if anything it's me having a laugh at myself, yet again. The " Chicks Dig Me™ " is just funny - have you ever met an italian that didn't consider himself a ladies man?

I reserve the right to have a dig at myself. I would love to have kept my full handle of "spirito di finocchio" but ultimately it did cause offense and some politely & quite rightly asked that i use another. I wouldn't really want to read too much of what i write/say in humor.

I rest my handbag ... er .. i mean case.

ciao

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.