Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first year putting in a good number of miles ~2500. I took the 'winter' off and have only been out a few times so far this year. I am struggling with motivation. I have an active family, so normally I get up early while everyone else is asleep and take my rides.
I have been having an increasingly hard time this year, since the "Layoff" ( Dec, Jan and Feb).
After I take a ride , I feel great but I have been struggling getting out.

What do you guys do to stay motivated?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
gcamp said:
Last year was my first year putting in a good number of miles ~2500. I took the 'winter' off and have only been out a few times so far this year. I am struggling with motivation. I have an active family, so normally I get up early while everyone else is asleep and take my rides.
I have been having an increasingly hard time this year, since the "Layoff" ( Dec, Jan and Feb).

Thanks.
What are your goals? Why are you so interested in riding? Let's start there and figure out which way to head :)

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I have goals- some of them over the years have been: finish a metric century, finish a century, finish the Death Ride, Death Ride in 8 hours, good placing in the Everest Challenge stage race. I like to pick goals that are challenging but possible if I do the training. Then there is no choice- I have to get out there, or fail in my goal. I hate failure.

There's still days when I don't feel like going for a ride. If I am truly tired I will take a day off. If I am just being a weenie, I will go ride anyhow. Sometimes my wife has to encourage me. She knows that I will be in a better mood when I get back from my ride, so it's worth it to get me going.

I find that if I have a leisurely morning I am more likely to be a weenie. Especially if I spend any time on the internet. Most of the time I get up early to get my ride in, so I don't have any time to think about not doing the ride.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
If you don't want to do something, don't.

It's not like you are getting paid to ride your bike.

BTW you could sell your car. That will get you out on the bike.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
gcamp said:
Weight loss, Fitness, stress reduction, Fun.........comradarie
The trick for me staying with it has been a combination of motivators. I find if you have enough unique motivators, no matter what kind of day you're having, some of the motivators may not be enough to get you off your butt, but there's always at least one that will. Here's an example (I started cycling last November - I ride six days a week, mostly on the trainer, but outdoors on the weekend if the weather is good)...

Here are my motivators (in no particular order):
* Weight loss
* Increased energy
* Heart health / lung health / diabetes prevention / etc.
* Self-esteem
* I have a couple of charity rides, centuries, etc. that I'm training for - I'd like to not feel like I'm going to die on them ;)
* I spent a lot of money on my bike - if I don't ride enough, or if I don't stick with it, I'll feel like I wasted my money
* I'm single, so I have that motivator as well (for you, maybe it would be impressing your wife)
* A feeling of accomplishment
* Fun!! :)

I've been weighing myself every morning. It helps keep me honest and motivated. This DOES NOT work for a lot of people, and in fact, it can be counterproductive. You have to understand that on any given day, many factors can contribute to your weight going in the wrong direction ;) I use physicsdiet.com to keep track of my weight. Seeing a graph with a trend line helps with my self-esteem and motivation.

I also write down everything I eat - I'm really trying to eat smaller portions, more often, and to be more conscious of WHAT I am putting in my body.

Multiple motivators and keeping it all in perspective :) If you need a serious kick in the pants, I'll do my best! :thumbsup:

Good luck!
-Chris

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
I just ride for the sheer fun of it. I use to stress on weight loss, strength training, wanting to enter races and charity rides and it was weighing me down. Now I don't even think about any of that stuff, i just ride. When I don't ride I don't let it worry me since my bike will be there when I'm ready again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I ride to force myself to take some time away from everything.
I don't bring a phone, but I usually ride in pretty populated areas.

I also ride to see improvements. The little computer on my bike does wonders. I've found a loop in the city where I don't have to stop. I try to see if I can do it faster each time.

I also ride so I don't feel like a b00b for spending money on a bike I'm not using. It helps that it sits in the living room beside the TV as a constant reminder :)

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
"The layoff," eh?

gcamp said:

Thanks.
If you're layed off from a job, maybe there's a guilt thing, taking time out to ride instead of searching relentlessly for a job? I know from experience that riding is a very good medicine for not "giving up," as the saying goes. When I've felt depressed over some problem, attacking a few good hills, or going a distance furthur than normal, is always a great tonic for positive thinking. But its always hard to get on the bike and go ride, the more the problems are floating around in the mind. Riding is always a clearing out process, a return to basics. The problems get flushed out with the lactic acid.

Remember that before you ride! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Why oh why?

gcamp said:
I have been having an increasingly hard time this year, since the "Layoff" ( Dec, Jan and Feb). After I take a ride , I feel great but I have been struggling getting out.

How about: 1) liking to ride bikes and 2) improved quality of life. That's more than plenty for me.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
We all go through "seasons" in our lives. I had some friends that rode all the time, did a huge week long supported ride and then they just stopped for almost a year. He was like. "I'm done with cycling." But then, eventually, they started up again.

There are alot of times I don't want to go cause I'm sick of riding by myself and sick of the same roads, etc..and so I don't. IT'S OK to take a break.

Maybe join a club and do some group rides. Meet some people and do it just for the "social" of it.
Screw goals and "achieving something", just do it for fun. There are too many other things in life that we have to "achieve" and plan for and set goals for.
Ride just to ride...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Motavation................Either you got it................or you don't.

Please explain why have to "sneak" out early, to take your rides??
What's wrong with after work and on the weekends?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Start bike commuting. That helps motivate me because it saves money, reduces pollution, conserves energy.

Track your mileage, time, average speed, etc. Keeping a log helps motivate me because I set goals that I try to top -- e.g., more than 600 miles/month.

Get a new bike or components. That helps motivate me because I feel like I need to justify the purchases.

Find a group to ride with after work or on weekends. It's often easier to do something when you're not alone.

Set a goal to ride a century, metric century or weeklong tour. Training for that ride will help motivate you.

G

·
You want motivation????????

Florescent bathroom fixture, a full length mirror and nakedness (sorry to any of you just finishing up lunch). You need extra motivation, florescent bathroom fixture, nakedness and your girlfriend/wife's "honest opinion".

OK, seriously for a second. My wife is a marathoner and she taught me this trick several years ago. Lack motivation today...........gear up with the mind game of just riding to the end of the street, to the mailbox, whatever is within spitting distance. If still no motivation, turn around and come back.

IME, rarely have I turned around. It's usually a "get going" issue, not a "stay going" one. Give it a try.

If that doesn't work, Restoration Hardware has a couple of their florescent bath fixtures on sale.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Find a riding partner who is expecting you to be there.
It is too easy to roll over and fall back to sleep if it is just you who is riding.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Weight loss, stress reduction, build fitness so MTB is more fun. My wife and I are empty nesters now so I don't have the family constraints like I used to, she is very pro-fitness and gives me the thumbs up any time I want to disappear for a few hours on the bike...she rocks!

It's 57 deg and sunny (todays motivation), I'm outta' here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.