Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright kids, I need some motivation. Got back into road riding last summer and fell in love with my work commute (15 miles each way). But as the days shortened and the rains came I sort of petered out until I wasn't riding at all. My workday typically begins at 7am and the weather will still be pretty crappy for a while (Paciffic NW), so it's not like it's going to get much easier for a few months. However...

... I see the faithful folks out there, every day, all geared up and obviously still plugging away at their commute despite rain and cold and dark.

I know that I'll feel better, be healthier, save gas, love the ride home in the evening, blah blah blah. But all of that ain't cutting it to get me out the door at 6am on any regular basis. So, how about another approach - peer pressure.

So come on all you hard men and women I see out there. How long is your commute? How's the weather where you ride this time of year? How do you get yourself out the door? Perhaps with a little perspective my whiny little ass will stop gravitating towards the fat American lifestyle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could always do a partial ride - if you have a car, toss in your bike. Ride to a half-way point, park the car, get out the bike & blah, blah, blah.

This might be enough to help get you going.

As they say over at Nike - just do it. Make up your mind and gopher it. Reward yourself with something you really want as motivation - like a jar of unsalted peanuts, or something.

You can do it!!!

Go!
:)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I commute 16 mi. one way year-round. The morning leg is done entirely in the dark. My parameters for riding are: 1. Temp 20*F or more. 2.Clear roads. 3. No precip. when I leave.

I look at it as an adventure. It's fun and exciting. If it were a chore, I wouldn't do it. On days when I have to drive, I get cranky. My wife notices my change in mood. I'm endorphin dependent. My advice? Watch out! It can definitely be habit forming.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Everything is beautiful in it's own way.

I have never had a less than beautiful commute-it always feels like I am getting away with something when I ride my bike to work.

Sometimes there is fresh water falling making everything glisten.

Sometimes the winds blow everything out of the sky.

Sometimes the sun warms everything up.

Sometimes there is a beautiful sheet of ice everywhere.

Sometimes we ride in a winter wonder land.

I would never trash my bike.

MB1 bike riding today.
Life is good in the saddle.

·
grippy...
122 Posts
No alternative...

Rather than chasing motivation, I just decided that driving to work was no longer an option, no matter how tired, cranky, or sore I might be, or how foul the weather. I've only got 7 miles each way through DC, but there are days when i'm just not in the mood. By not allowing myself to choose, just getting on the bike and turning the cranks, i'm racking up the miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like to read aventure stories

Helps fire me up for my little aventure across the city.... Look up arctic homestead on amazon and Legion of the Lost

I know that as soon as I ride 3 blocks I am so happy I didn't take the bus. I've never owned a car or had a DL. because of some medical issues I deal with. The freedom of just going and riding till your hungry and to explore the woods or alley's. I'd be a very unhappy person in a car.

Mabe this helps mabe it doesn't, just my .02

·
Registered
435 Posts
Simple...

Slash the tyres on your car in the evening thus leaving you no option but to ride to work. Or if you want to be half-a$$ed about this thing, simply let all the air out of your car tyres.
Simple, problem fixed. Now get on your bike! :D

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
its nice now but it'll be 110 in no time. i'm looking forwad to it.
get something new/new to you to use/try on your commute. might help to get you back in the swing of things.
i'm off to ride my bike to pick up my truck and drive home from the dealer after it's saftey recall fixing. oh the irony...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I commute year 'round in Seattle, 24 miles round trip. Even though the weather is somewhat crappy it's not as bad as others. The sunrises and sunsets have been incredible the last week or two. Enjoying these from a bike, rather than car or bus, should be motivation enough. Just get out and ride!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts