Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just was wondering what is the main difference between these to bikes.
I looked at the manufacturer's website, and it looks like the frame is different as well as the fork, but I wanted to know, if the cheaper version will be a good choice for first timer.
I want to use it for:
- commuting
- some dirt roads or gravel
- a light mountain trail?
- Road

It will be an upgrade from my 1980s steel bike.
I would greatly appreciate all opinions and suggestions.

Cheers,

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was trying to help a friend make the exact same decision earlier this year. I pointed out the differences in the fork. I told him that the things he would probably upgrade soonest (shifters, wheels) were already there on the red Fantom Cross (though I was going to put him on 32 spoke Ultegra/OP, instead of the Vuelta low spoke wheels). I suggested that the outboard bearing crankset on the Fantom Cross was a little nicer set, but that the 50-36 ISIS job on the Fantom CX was perfectly serviceable, and maybe a better range for the types of all around riding he intended to do.

Of course, in the end, he decided the matte gray was much cooler than the red, and chose the Fantom CX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points. Thank you

Thank you all for your contribution.
If I end up getting this bike, it wil be my first real bike. Meaning I did not assemble it or fixed it.
As the red goes, I really like it, but I don't want to be too flashy. Living in Vancouver, bikes are being stolen everywhere. And I know I will be paranoid leaving it anywhere, as I am planning to use this bike practically for everything. Daily commute, groceries etc.
Short road trips, and some cross (more like light mountain trails).
Is there a place where I can only buy a frame and a fork? I only saw someone selling the red ones on ebay.
I was also thinking getting a second set of tires. One set will be for city and road, and the other for cross light trail. Is it a good idea?

Thank you again,

Cheers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought my Fantom Cross frameset from bikeisland.com

It looks like they don't have the red available, but do have an "unbranded" CX frameset w/ carbon fork available for 250, and it looks awful similar to my moto, with the exception of the non-integrated headset.

Be aware that building a bike from scratch is rarely cheaper than buying complete, unless you already have a significant parts stash or great deals lined up.

Your idea about buying separate tires for road and trail use is a good one, and commonly done. You may appreciate buying a separate wheelset in the future so you don't have to constantly change tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.