Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum.. I thought that this would be the appropriate section. My question is this... I'm new to biking and have come across this Motobecane Le Champion SL. I was curious if this was a good deal for $700. I know that I need to go and ride the bike to make sure that it's comfortable and all that. I just wanted to make sure that compoenetry was good for the price. Thanks in advance for your help :eek: :

FRAME: XFusion Quaternary phase alloy, Custom butted and shaped with PowerDiamond down tube, integrated headtube. (NEW)
HEADSET: Cane Creek Integrated. (NEW)
FORK: Kinesis Aero Carbon fiber with carbon steer tube. (NEW)
SHIFTERS: Shimano 27-sp. (NEW)
BRAKES: Shimano. (NEW)
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano, one year old.
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano XTR, one year old.
CRANK: Truvativ rings with Titanium arms, one year old.
WHEELSET: Mavic CXP33, with Ultegra Hubs, two year old.
SEATPOST: Aluminum.
SADLE: Bontrager, extra padding. (NEW)
Bottle cage.
Peddals: Shimano SPD.
Utility Bag, matching color.

Ok.. Here's the real deal. I want to get a road bike b/c currently I have a MTB. I currently just use my bike to get from job to job about 10 miles max/day. I originally got the bike to comute from A to B but have fell in love with riding. I'm just trying to figure out what the best bike to get? I dont' really mind spending a lot as long as it's worth the money. Sorry, I really didn't want to be another "newbie" asking for "what the best bike to get" but I guess that's what it's coming down to for me. I'm about 5'5" and 160lbs. Don't really care about racing I just want a comfortable bike that's going to last. Thanks a billion for your help so far

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
You don't mention what level of Shimano components...The shifter, rear derailleur, brakes, and pedals don't mention what level.......It could either be a good deal or a terrible deal depending on what level...My other concern would be it appears to be a hodge-podge of parts....It certainly isn't how it came from the factory...

Off topic but I love this description for the frame...

XFusion Quaternary phase alloy, Custom butted and shaped with PowerDiamond down tube

what a bunch of meaningless words....

· Registered
24 Posts
Well, here's the "official" build for a 2008 Le Champion SL:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp08.htm

So you should see what the components are (105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, other?) and compare. Then decide if used is worth the $500 savings.

I have no comment on Motobecane as a brand or the quality of the frame. As Dave so aptly put it, the adspeak they use is "a bunch of meaningless words."

Forgot to mention... I have no idea what an XTR front derailleur is doing on this bike, as its a mountain bike part. Maybe it just happened to fit while the guy was throwing parts on the frame? I'm wondering if someone bought the bike, stripped off the Ultegra components and put his "old" parts on the frame to resell... Also, I wasn't aware of Truvativ releasing Ti crank arms. FWIW and all that...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much.. I don't know what the level of each is either I'm currently trying to find out. The guy says that he rebuilds bikes as a hobby and this is one that he has rebuilt.. That's all that I got

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Is this a used bike? The component specs you list are incomplete so it's hard to do apples to apples, but if you are on a budget, bikesdirect.com could get you into a new
similar bike with Ultegra for around $1k. That's what I did two years ago.
The frame is a knock of of the Fuji Team rides a little soft with some bottom bracket flex
but is fine for a starter bike. Last year I had my shop transfer all the Ultegra components to a Giant TCR Advanced frame. Of course, the new frame is unbelievably better, but the old bike served me well and was very economical, especially since the
components transferred.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah, I know it's iffy, and just because I experienced no significant problems,
I know not everyone would be so lucky. It's just hard for me to imagine a more
cost-effective way to get started. Just sayin it's an alternative for someone who can do
basic wrenching (like a mountain biker would be able to, as per the OP's post).

· Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Better off going to an LBS if you are not sure on what to look for in a bike. I did the BD online buying thing and fortunately it worked out for me but this deal doesnt sound too good since its only about $500 cheaper with mix and match components and you dont know if it fits. Since you said in one of your posts you dont mind spending alot for quality it puzzles me that you would even consider this bike.

If you have your heart set on this Moto then go to your LBS and get fitted [I didnt do this but I lucked out and ended up with a good fit]. Then if they dont have any bikes you want, for whatever reason, then size it up there then shop around for a NEW bike that fits. Im a fellow noob like you but Ive learned theres alot more to biking than just buying anything that looks good or appears to be a good buy. An LBS is probably the best place to start. Good luck man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.