Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people's thoughts are on Motobecane. In particular, I'm considering purchasing the Fantom Cross which is $800 new, or a used Specialized Tri-Cross Sport which have been going for around $800 on ebay. I'm interested in riding the bike on unpaved forest preserve trails around Chicago, as well as commuting to work and along the lakefront on the weekends. It scares me to purchase a bike from online and not get the chance to test ride it at a LBS, while it also scares me to purchase a used bike that I don't know the history of on ebay. However, I don't feel like paying at least $400 more for a new Tri-Cross.

What are your thoughts on the Motobecane compared to a Tri-Cross sport, and which one do you think will offer a more comfortable ride along with a long life.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
lancezneighbor said:
Everyone is well aware that Motobecane bikes are terrible, don't even think of buying one.
In other words, get your size right, check the component list carefully, and you'll likely be very happy (as I am - with an MB Sprint, not a cross bike).

It might also be worthwhile to check out discussions on the Motobecane-Mercier forum.

·
Registered
522 Posts
They seem fine... I've been waiting for an SRAM Rival Fantom... but I think I might just have to go with something else.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I want a Fantom Uno just as a cheap way to get into a SS cross bike. For what you intend to do with it the right size Fantom should serve you well.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
IlliniBiker said:
It scares me to purchase a bike from online and not get the chance to test ride it at a LBS, while it also scares me to purchase a used bike that I don't know the history of on ebay.
If that's the case, then don't purchase online.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the UNO is originally designed as a messenger frame--the handling might be a bit quicker than the San Jose or similar.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Bosun said:
I think the UNO is originally designed as a messenger frame--the handling might be a bit quicker than the San Jose or similar.

You are correct...The UNO has a short wheelbase and has quick handling....I like the way it feels it's not as stable as a longer wheelbase bike like the San Jose.. It's a tradeoff and personal preference....Personally, I like the handling of the UNO

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check around......I bought a new '08 Raleigh RX 1.0 for that price. 105 rear, tiagra front/shifters, Easton EC90X fork. LOVE the bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts