Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the Motobecane Cross bike?.....Is it a good buy, or would I be wasting my money?

www.bikesdirect.com

I'm looking for a decent cross bike, newer, but not necessarily new with at least 105 level components...this seems to fit the bill...any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I did not see a cross bike on that site--it looks like some pretty junky stuff--do you have the tools and know how to do your own service on the bike? Consider that before getting something that you have to drag into the local shop to get straightened out, you can't really ship it bak for adjustments and warranty issues due to poor assembly on their part. Look carefully at parts like wheels, cranks, seatpost, bars, brakes--that's where they save the money on the lower end discount bikes. There are a lot of good deals this time of year for both new bikes in shops and used equipment on the internet, $1000 will buy a lot of bike this time of year. It might be a better bet to get a used race bike that with dura ace or ultegra as long as it has not been abused or raced more that a couple of seasons.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah

jroden said:
I did not see a cross bike on that site--it looks like some pretty junky stuff--do you have the tools and know how to do your own service on the bike? Consider that before getting something that you have to drag into the local shop to get straightened out, you can't really ship it bak for adjustments and warranty issues due to poor assembly on their part. Look carefully at parts like wheels, cranks, seatpost, bars, brakes--that's where they save the money on the lower end discount bikes. There are a lot of good deals this time of year for both new bikes in shops and used equipment on the internet, $1000 will buy a lot of bike this time of year. It might be a better bet to get a used race bike that with dura ace or ultegra as long as it has not been abused or raced more that a couple of seasons.

you have to click on the Road bikes tab at the top, then it's about 1/2 way down the page under the 105 gruppo....I can do most of the work on my bikes, not everything though...

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
I bought a cheap Motobecane Mtn bike

physasst said:
What do you guys think of the Motobecane Cross bike?.....Is it a good buy, or would I be wasting my money?

www.bikesdirect.com

I'm looking for a decent cross bike, newer, but not necessarily new with at least 105 level components...this seems to fit the bill...any thoughts?
My son started Mtn biking so I bought a Motobecane HT400 to ride with him. I've found the quality to be surprisingly good. I plan to buy a cheap ($400) Motobecane road bike for my son. I think that aluminum-framed bikes under $1000 are commodities with no signficant differences among bike brands with the same component level.

I'm sure that the Motobecane will be better than the Schwinn Continental that I road for 1000's of miles in the 1970"s.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
physasst said:
Looking at the spec, the only 105 component is the rear derailleur, everything else is Tiagra. Most reports I've heard was that Tiagra held up reasonably well, but remember this isn't really a 105 level bike when making comparisons.

For 7 bills, it would probably work just fine. As someone else mentioned, if you can't do your own work (basic derailleur & brake adjustments, wheel truing, etc.), factor the additional shop cost into your price. Also compare the wheels on other similarly, or slightly higher, priced bikes. The Alex DC19 rim is pretty heavy at a claimed weight of 530gms. It will probably be durable, but that extra weight (1/4 to 1/2 lb for both wheels) is extra effort to carry and spin up. Formula hubs can be pretty hit or miss as well.

For a little more, you could get something like an IBEX X-Ray. It normally lists for $999, but it can usually be found for much less through their website. It comes with full 105, fewer no name components, pedals and the wheels are a slight step up as well.

As others have said, poke around at your local shops, they might be able to get you a good deal on an 05 CX bike with better parts for the same or slightly more $.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think it would be an OK bike for you, perhaps a little heavy but it would work fine with the possible exception of the wheels. You would need to find the geometry chart for that bike and make sure it will fit, given the 2 cm jumps in frame size. Generally the tires are trash for off road use, but that's no big deal.

The other consideration is as you swap out parts, i.e. the tires, maybe the seat, maybe the wheels, maybe the stem is wrong size, you have to then replace them at full retail and try to sell the take offs yourself. A decent bike shop can take a low end bike like this and work with you on changing out parts for fit or performance reasons with a reasonable upcharge, if they are a good shop, just a consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts