Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm sick of using expensive lube on my commuter bike. I hate to do it but i'm gonna switch to motor oil and leave the good stuff for my road bike.

Can anyone suggest a weight and brand that works best?

thank you very much

david

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
cost...

Wanting to switch from four ounce bottles costing $8 isn't just a matter of what you can afford, it's just smart. I've used nothing but a homebrewed mix of mineral spirits and various motor oils or gear lubes for the last 10 seasons. For $10 you can mix up enough to fill 40 of those 4-ounce bottles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
C-40 said:
Wanting to switch from four ounce bottles costing $8 isn't just a matter of what you can afford, it's just smart. I've used nothing but a homebrewed mix of mineral spirits and various motor oils or gear lubes for the last 10 seasons. For $10 you can mix up enough to fill 40 of those 4-ounce bottles.
Can you fill 40 of those 4 oz bottles without ever spilling anything? I'm the cheapest guy I know, but those little bottles are by far the cleanest, safest way to get the job done.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
eddie m said:
Can you fill 40 of those 4 oz bottles without ever spilling anything? I'm the cheapest guy I know, but those little bottles are by far the cleanest, safest way to get the job done.
You can either refill the little containers - or something similar like a nasal spray container. Or, use what has been used for a hundred years, a little drip can.

I'm sort of with you in that I just buy the little squeeze bottles because... they're convenient and why not if you can afford it. But it is definitely an example of over-packaged, over priced commodity. I think if you put some oil or homebrew oil mix into a little oil drip can or similar and applied and wiped clean like normal chain oil, it wouldn't be any messier and would be a little thriftier.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not quite...

eddie m said:
Only a dummie would store lube in four ounce bottles. I make mine up in an old water bottle (20-24 ounces) and dispense it from an applicator bottle holding at least 8 ounces. I never spill a drop, using the water bottle to fill the dispenser. I use a plastic hair coloring applicator bottle, with a modified tip. I melt the tip closed with a soldering gun, then used a heated pin to make a new hole that produces a small stream or drops, as desired. The bottle I bought cost $1.75 and I've been using it for years. Before that, I use old Pro Link bottles until the plastic got brittle and cracked.

·
Registered
934 Posts
A lab-type wash bottle should work -- they're often about 16 oz with a long nozzle extending at an angle down the bottle.

If you're using multi-grade motor oil, note that 10W-30 (or 10W-40) is 10W oil, not 30W. It just loses viscosity less with increased temperature compared to standard 10W, but it's not going to see significant temperatures on a bicycle chain.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
axebiker said:
Don't let the enviro-left hear about this... EVIL petroleum!!
Too late. I heard that! With the masive amounts of petroleum we're using to lube our bikes, we should all be hanging our heads in shame. :nono: What a bunch of wasteful, nonrenewble resource using, anti environmental, selfish, pollution mongering losers!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm currently using Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector. A 16 oz. can costs less than $7 (plus shipping) and lasts for a very long time. Maxima Chain Wax is pretty similar and can be found in most motorcycle shops. They both spray on, penetrate the links, and dry to a waxy coating that is not a big dirt magnet. They also hold up very well in rain.

If you decide to make your own homemade lube, the empty contact lens solution bottle is a very good idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I'd rather use a Wax based lube or even motor oil rather than Teflon. Any of you have experience with this issue or have any threads regarding safe ways to limit your exposure? It seems that those working in Bike shops would be exposed to ver high levels and I'm wondering if their are any studies regarding that issue.

Is this a good question to begin to shed my newbie skin? Is there a thread for safe ways to handle bike lubes and other shop chemicals?

Sorry to get all green on you.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/teflon_chemicals_20060203/

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
You're VERY confused

cloneme77 said:
I think I'd rather use a Wax based lube or even motor oil rather than Teflon. Any of you have experience with this issue or have any threads regarding safe ways to limit your exposure? It seems that those working in Bike shops would be exposed to ver high levels and I'm wondering if their are any studies regarding that issue.

Is this a good question to begin to shed my newbie skin? Is there a thread for safe ways to handle bike lubes and other shop chemicals?
You are completely misreading this issue. The concern is about perfluorooctanoic acid, not about Teflon. Teflon is totally intert and is often used in medical devices that are implanted in the body. There is zero health concern about Teflon. PFOA is used during the manufacture of Teflon, but it is not present in the finished product.

In general, the stuff you would use on your bike (grease, oil, degreasers) are pretty innocuous unless you ingest them or close yourself in a room with some of the solvents. About the only "risk" present is that your skin can dry out from exposure to the petroleum products.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Don't lose sleep over what kind or weight of motor oil to use. Don't be concerned about whether or not it's synthetic, partly synthetic, or just plain dino juice. You'll never be able to tell the difference. Just keep it clean, throw some lube on & go for a ride. It's at least 10 times more fun that arguing about stuff like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Teflon and Fluoropolymers

The potential health effects from shop chemicals we work with everyday does warrant discussion and while teflon may be inert the health effects of using PFOA in the manufacturing process of teflon appear to remain unclear.

Finish line and other products use:

Teflon® fluoropolymer- made by Dupont

Two chemicals in this class, perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA or C8), have been a concern because they persist in the environment. Both PFOS and PFOA accumulate in wildlife such as bald eagles, mink, bears, sea mammals, and fish, and PFCs have been found in people. The chemical process that uses perfluorooctanesulfonyl fluoride and results in the formation of PFOS and several other PFCs was discontinued by 2002 in the United States. PFOA is currently used as a processing aid when making fluoropolymers.

How People Are Exposed to PFCs

How people can be exposed to PFCs is as yet unclear. Some PFCs persist in the environment, and people might be exposed by consuming PFC-contaminated water or food or by using commercial products that contain PFCs.

How PFCs Affect People's Health Because human health effects are unknown, more research is needed to understand how PFCs affect people’s health. Only limited animal studies are available, and not all PFCs have been tested. Some animal studies show that some types of PFCs can cause tumors, damage to the liver and other organs, and developmental and reproductive effects.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/pdf/factsheet_pfc.pdf

More info:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/hazardous/topics/pfcshealth.html

If someone told you that spraying brand X air freshner in your home would make your air smell sweet but it's health effects are unknown would you buy it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.