Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had the chance to motor pace (with the motorists permission) on the road?

I've done this more than a few times, foolish I know, but a kick, non -the -less, and a couple of examples stand out.

Once coming out of Frisco I caught a back-hoe on a incline and he gladly pulled me almost all the way to Breckenridge. He was giddy all the way. I was happy to to have him blocking a stiff head wind.

Here on the Cape a group of motorcycles came up next to me at a red light and we got into a friendly conversation. They took off on the green light and I sprinted after them and they slowed and I found myself a member of their gang till I turned off a mile later. One of the best miles I ever did.

·
Squalor
239 Posts
euro-trash said:
It's great training.
Really? What are the main benefits?

I've done it once when a buddy passed me on a local road. I told him to hold it just over 30. I was able to sit in the draft no problem. I was pretty amazed. Never thought about any training benefit...

What is proper road etiquette for motor-pacing?

LP

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The training benefit is for using it to do "intervals" that simulate race conditions (high speed of the peloton). Have the motor go a few kph faster than your goal speed for a TT (or whatever). At given intervals, you pull out from the shelter of the motor, into the wind, and hold that speed for however long. Then you go back behind the motor. Repeat.

That way, you get the benefit of the high-speed interval, without the leg-destroying sprint up to 55 k / hr, or whatever speed you use.

This is textbook; I haven't had the chance to do it often myself.

·
Registered
460 Posts
While riding through some of the neiborhoods around my house (speed limit=25mph), I've on occasion latched on to the draft from a minivan or truck. This is really fun, sitting right behind them. (what's a bicycle doing following me like this?) Of course one has to be very vigilant and anticipate things too. Still a lot of fun though.

·
Squalor
239 Posts
Argentius said:
That way, you get the benefit of the high-speed interval, without the leg-destroying sprint up to 55 k / hr, or whatever speed you use.
Got it -

I guess my real question is why is the high-speed interval any better from a training standpoint than a hill-interval or sprint-interval?

Not trying to be difficult, just curious. Is it just familiarity with the higher speed?

LP

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
yep. do it on occasion, usually motorpacing off of a scooter. a few weeks ago i was on with a small group ride, and we were sitting in on some 40+ year old woman, coming back from work, putting away at +/-45 kp/h.

last year a guy on motorcycle motorpaced me back to a pack ride after i got flicked. i was totaly blown, and it was near the end of the ride, but the guy wouldn't stop, even after i waved him away. took awhile, but i eventually caught the pack, only to have them rev it up for the sprint :rolleyes:

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
lanpope said:
Got it -

I guess my real question is why is the high-speed interval any better from a training standpoint than a hill-interval or sprint-interval?

Not trying to be difficult, just curious. Is it just familiarity with the higher speed?

LP
Its a little of the familiarity at speed, a little 'gotta ride it in training to race it,' and a little you can 'go faster than your typical race so the race seems easy.'

Done right, it hurts like hades. I've done a bunch of MP on the track and its a really, really good thing to do!

M

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Von Zip said:
Have any of you had the chance to motor pace (with the motorists permission) on the road?

I've done this more than a few times, foolish I know, but a kick, non -the -less, and a couple of examples stand out.

Once coming out of Frisco I caught a back-hoe on a incline and he gladly pulled me almost all the way to Breckenridge. He was giddy all the way. I was happy to to have him blocking a stiff head wind.

Here on the Cape a group of motorcycles came up next to me at a red light and we got into a friendly conversation. They took off on the green light and I sprinted after them and they slowed and I found myself a member of their gang till I turned off a mile later. One of the best miles I ever did.
One of the other things that the other guys havent mentioned that ive done with some use at times is to have the car ride behind you - it protects you if you're on a busy road, though generally you want to be on a lower traffic road tostart with...
but what i find a big benefit is that if i go out on a hard training ride i find it very easy to zone out, and suddenly my speed's dropping. with someone following you they can see if you're slowing down, and ride up a bit closer to you to tell you to speed up - my mom's done this with me a couple times - you pull to the left and wave em up when you wanna say something, ie "25mph", they stick it in cruise, and you hammer away ahead. after a while if you're exhausted you can sit in on the back, and if worst comes to worst, you can get a free ride home :)
-estone2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.