Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you guys ride motorcycles too? I know you guys always talk about handling in crits and stuff, so it made me think on a motorcycle you dive into turns faster than on a crit. You have a lot of power at your disposal to go fast, so no need to fear a quick descent. I'm a cycle purest I love bikes in general and it seems to me too many people are out and about with just a fitness attitude when cycles in general desire passion. See, I went to a gallery of old euro bikes and after most folks left the guide was talking to my dad and I about how people just don't appreciate motorcycles that are old for what they are, works of art that desire one to one with the machine.

This is what bothers me when I talk to people on this forum and they get all angry about stuff like oh it's just transportation or it doesn't matter where it was built. A bike is different from a car you need to be right there with it, if your cruel it'll let you know by hurting you, it requires one to be an actively thinking rider. This is why nothing pains me more than when a car driver doesn't car about anything on two wheels. Bicycle or motorcycle they don't care that they'll kill you and end up with nothing more than a Maco bill.

Hmm, I just read what I wrote I sure do like to ramble, oh well just ramble back what

·
Banned
471 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I was wondering how many of you guys ride motorcycles too? I know you guys always talk about handling in crits and stuff, so it made me think on a motorcycle you dive into turns faster than on a crit. You have a lot of power at your disposal to go fast, so no need to fear a quick descent. I'm a cycle purest I love bikes in general and it seems to me too many people are out and about with just a fitness attitude when cycles in general desire passion. See, I went to a gallery of old euro bikes and after most folks left the guide was talking to my dad and I about how people just don't appreciate motorcycles that are old for what they are, works of art that desire one to one with the machine.

This is what bothers me when I talk to people on this forum and they get all angry about stuff like oh it's just transportation or it doesn't matter where it was built. A bike is different from a car you need to be right there with it, if your cruel it'll let you know by hurting you, it requires one to be an actively thinking rider. This is why nothing pains me more than when a car driver doesn't car about anything on two wheels. Bicycle or motorcycle they don't care that they'll kill you and end up with nothing more than a Maco bill.

Hmm, I just read what I wrote I sure do like to ramble, oh well just ramble back what
I used to drive ("not ride") a motocycle. It was more than [but mostly] transportation. Are you rambling -- 'cause of RUM

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't drink

The name Rum_Runner1 is just a reference to the quick bootlegging ships that used to run rum to the colonies.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
stevee said:
Loads of MC discussions in Teh Lounge.
and lots of bicycle discussions places like BARF (BAy Area Rider's Forum) and SBR (South Bay Riders) Most of the discussion on the MC boards ain't what you'd call 'bicycle friendly.'

M

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I had one and just recently sold it. Although I had no close calls in the year I had it, I do not want to risk it with the idiots on the roads out here. It is also too expensive to be in bicycling and motorcycling so one had to go and it wasn't going to be the bicycle.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
MShaw said:
and lots of bicycle discussions places like BARF (BAy Area Rider's Forum) and SBR (South Bay Riders) Most of the discussion on the MC boards ain't what you'd call 'bicycle friendly.'
M
There's a few rabid anti-bicycle posters, mostly on BARF. It's sad how they complain how the general population sterotypes motorcyclists based on seeing a few squids speeding, then they go and sterotype bicyclists based on one rider who didn't get out of their way quick enough.

I've given up on trying to explain things to these people on line. You'd think that there'd be a certain cameraderie since we're all on two wheels. There is; but on line it's drowned out by the few loud jerks.

Fotunately in real life its not so bad. I've had some motorcyclists buzz me on purpose but the vast majority give me clearance. Last month when I was cycling down Mt Hamilton I came across another cyclist who'd just gone down. Lots of motorcyclists stopped to help. It was kind of wierd to be standing around talking to the same hairy chopper guys who'd been studiously ignoring me at the observatory but I wasn't going to say anything about their "speak english or die" patches if they didn't hassle me about my shaved legs.

I've had at least one motorcycle at all times since I was 17, except about four years where I was too obsessed with cycling to have the time or money. I do observed trials (modern and vintage) and ride on the street.

·
I drank what?
29 Posts
Have both types

I'll ride anything on two wheels.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've been riding an MC for ten years. I have a '88 Honda Hawk GT Initially it was not a hot seller and then when they stopped importing it, it became something of a cult bike.

In the N. GA mountains where I ride, the motorcyle riders have it out for the bicyclists (three or four abreast on mountain roads and often they refuse to pull over or even acknowledge someone is behind them) and the cyclists dislike the MC squids who ride too fast and too close for comfort.

Because I have a foot in each camp, I can say that both groups have inconsiderate jerks in them and that labels everyone on both sides.

Do unto others.

The hardest part is when I am on my bicycle and MCs go by....I wish I was on my MC. When I'm on my MC and bicyclists go by.....well, you get the drift.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
jimmer said:
I'll ride anything on two wheels.
+1:thumbsup: . I've ridden for 40 years. Although I really can't explain it, I just love anything with 2 wheels.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,598 Posts
oh yeah...2 motos. a street legal (mostly) supermoto, and a supermoto race bike. big fun.

biiiigggggg funnnnnnn...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode sport bikes for 20+ yrs, and I love my WCC as much as i love my Madone 5.9SL.

Actually had a ride in Long Beach with Jesse this past weekend.

A bike I helped build over the summer, my backup chopper............

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The one thing I had a hard time understanding was a "motorcycle ride". All you are doing is sitting on your a$$ and burning gasoline. What's the point?

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
No matter how you stack it up against the bicycle, a motorcycle beats the heck out of driving an automobile for me. I use my 75 Honda CB550 for personal transportation when I'm going somewhere that is too far away to ride my bicycle or I'm already tired from previous riding. I can't explain it to myself let alone to someone else.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Used to ride MCs, may do so again.

I rode motorcycles up until I was about 35 (now 54). In the time since I sold my last scooter, a Yamaha 750 Seca, the desire to get another has been a constant off/on thing. Lately it's been very much "on." It really doesn't help that my main bicycle-riding buddy also rides motorcycles, nor that a co-worker just got one.

When I rode, virtually all motorcycles were the now-nearly-extinct "standards." Now there are sport bikes and cruisers, and while both appeal to me for different reasons, I think I'd want a sport bike ... specifically, a Honda Super Hawk. The main thing that gives me pause is that sport bikes have evolved hugely during the two decades since I last rode. I'm not sure how smart it would be to swing a leg over a 1000cc V-twin road rocket after a 20 year hiatus, and am wondering whether I ought to start with something a little smaller and more docile (and yes, I do realize that the current crop of 600cc sport bikes might be smaller, but they sure as hell ain't anything you'd ever confuse with "docile").

1 - 20 of 38 Posts