Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a size 45 Nike mountain bike shoe. It has worked fine for the past year and a half but lately I have been noticing some extra room in the heal. When I'm pedaling I'm conscious that my foot can slide back a bit. The extra movement also squashes my toes under heavy pedaling.

I want to get a pair of Road Shoes to match my soon to be shiny new Road Bike. I'm getting the bike at a local shop, no question about that, to make sure the fit is all well and good. The price on shoes is noticeably different online though, so I'm trying to go that route. If I get Nike shoes (Poggio III from ebay probably) I'm thinking a 44.5 to get a smaller fit. If I go the SIDI Zeta route from probikekit, what size should I be looking at? They call a 45 a 10.5 I believe, while Nike calls it an 11. Should I go with 45 in SIDI? LAstly, Nashbar has a deal on Northwave Centurions:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=1042&brand=&sku=15041&storetype=&estoreid=
are they a good shoe and can anyone compare fit? For all running/basketball/etc. shoes I use size 11 and have a relatively narrow foot (though not narrow enough to go to B width running shoes).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, trying them makes some sense, but I feel like a complete douche trying on the LBS's shoes without any intent on buying them (unless they cut me a sweet deal). Do I rationalize it because I spent a good deal of money there on a bike?

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
nickmcgoogles said:
yeah, trying them makes some sense, but I feel like a complete douche trying on the LBS's shoes without any intent on buying them (unless they cut me a sweet deal). Do I rationalize it because I spent a good deal of money there on a bike?
My approach - go to an LBS you've never been to. In a different city if you want. Try on the shoes. Tell them you'll think about it, you want to sleep on it. You then changed your mind later, and decided you didn't want those shoes. Unless they're like Sidi Ergo 1's they won't remember you didn't buy it from them, anyways :p
Or, sizing is universal per manufacturer. Buy a shoe model from a mfg they have, but a model they don't have. "You didn't have this model."
-estone2

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Another thought.

If you are buying a bike from the LBS, they MAY give you a discount on accessories, like shoes. That way they fit and you get a deal from the LBS. I'd ask if they give you the deal on tune-ups or discounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.