Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
My son will attending college in the Northeast Kingdom, Vermont. Kingdom trail is close to school, this will be his first real mtn. bike. Should I go new or used.
New.

29er or 26"? 29er.

Hard tail or Full Suspension? Depends on how much you love him..... if you get Hard tail, then much of the savings can go towards books.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
They are right, colleges are bad places for bike theft. Here are a couple of inexpensive suggestions for whatever bike you get.

One, don't go fancy, in fact the uglier the better. You want thieves to move on somewhere else.

Get a seat leash. It's a cheap cable that holds the seat and seat post to the frame. These run between 7-9 dollers

There are skewer sets for anti theft. These run around thirty bucks or so but you need a special tool to remove them. This keeps the wheels from disappearing.

Fenders are great if he is riding in the rain

Used isn't a bad way to go, it's going to be used and abused . Don't spend a ton. It's all about going from point a to point b.

And a quality lock, spend 60-90 bucks for a great lock. People will move on when they see them.

Bill

·
Registered
368 Posts
Why have you decided upon a mtn bike?
Because a Madone just isn't much fun on Kingdom Trails singletrack? Just a guess.

My brother (also a college freshman, in upstate NY) just picked up a Trek 3-series (3500 Disc, I believe). I think it was under a grand. While I was in college in New Paltz, I rode a Gary Fisher hardtail all over the place. I was able to lock mine in the basement of my dorm building. I scraped $600 together for it while in high school, and I'm still riding it today.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Disc-equipped hardtail. 29" or 26" is your choice.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Kingdom Trails, Darling Hills looks doable on a cross bike

Burke Mountain.... they claim a mountain bike is needed.... need to watch videos on how technical it is (minus the downhill stuff).

An entry level Trek Marlin is less than $700.

or to go cheap... there's always bikes direct.
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.