Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So according to Disco's game plan whoever is strongest will be the leader is this the first time trial leader or the first mountain stage leader or could it change as the race progress's. Discuss amongst yourselves I am veklemt. I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why

·
Off the back.
102 Posts
George and Salvodelli will likely put up good, comparable numbers in the ITT on Stage 7. Popo will probably lag behind their times somewhat. I would expect they climb in a big group as much as possible, with Hincapie probably the most protected of the three followed by Popo and then Salvodelli.

I get the feeling Big George is their guy and the other two are decoys/fail safes but I could be wrong.

G

·
In another thread, someone said Popo was probably DC's GC hope and the rest decoys. But based on Grand Tour experience and current form - I'm thinking it'll be Hincapie or Paolo.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
AJL said:
In another thread, someone said Popo was probably DC's GC hope and the rest decoys. But based on Grand Tour experience and current form - I'm thinking it'll be Hincapie or Paolo.
You know, thinking back, Popo had a suspiciously quiet season. He plays domestique to Danielson in TdG, sprints well, climbs well. Then nothing. We never hear about injury or illness, and he must be putting in a lot of training. What we hear from Bruneel is attempt to downplay his team, say how "it's some other team's turn", they will be lucky to place 4th, 5th, 6th. It's almost as if he wants to direct attention away from his riders - maybe so there's less pressure on still relatively young Popovych?

I expect Hincapie be the best of the Disco boys in ITT, followed closely by Popo, then Savoldelli and Ace. Unless Hincapie is 2+ min ahead, I wouldn't automatically declare Hincapie team leader yet, as he might get dropped on one of the days in the mountains and lose serious time. Azevedo and Popo are punchy climbers, who may be given free reign to attack. For some reason I think it will be survival climbing of "hold on to the lead group" for Hincapie and Savoldelli. Either way, it's going to be an interesting race within a race.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
It's either George or Paolo...the only way it's Popo is if he's just beyond spectacular/gets in a break, picks up big time and isn't reeled in. I have to believe the George/Paolo decision is going to be based on the first ITT results and how they look/feel/react in the mountains. But you can damn well bet that Bruyneel already has his mind set on one guy with a game plan to play alternates and mix it up.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
my guess is salvodelli.

i think they let george take the yellow early, knowing he probably wont have another shot at getting it. i dont buy his line, "we didnt really discuss my try for the intermediate sprint. i just realized that if i got the bonus i would be in yellow, so i went for it." that doesnt sound like GH. he does what people tell him during a race, not what he wants.

johan sends all three to the mountains, claiming whoever is strongest gets the leader role, but its more a three-pronged bluff. i see them goin salvodelli, popo, the george, as far as leadership.

for me the big question is wwcd: what will CSC do?

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
kpcw said:
Team Disco did not lose anyone to the recent doping scandal and yet, to me, it seems that their team entered le Tour in some form of disarray.

Right now they are riding, no true leader etc. I believe that when they get to Paris and do not have a winner in yellow, the story will be, "Uh yes, perhaps we should have chosen a leader before the race began..."
You really think Johan doesn't have a game plan? No way. He's got it all mapped...he has no reason to play any cards yet.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
chuckice said:
You really think Johan doesn't have a game plan? No way. He's got it all mapped...he has no reason to play any cards yet.
Any plan is only as good as the riders' legs. Whoever rides relatively well in the first TT and Pyrenees will emerge as the Disco leader. If none of the candidates emerge as clearly superior to the others with a shot at a high GC position, Disco will remain leaderless.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
kpcw said:
I just watched/listened to GH backup the, "There is no leader on the team...we'll find one in the first week...I think there should be one leader..." and this reinforces why GH is not going to win (although I root for him). He is meek and the meek don't inherit le Tour.
I don't think George will win either...but I'd take any bet that Bruyneel has the plan all mapped out. He ain't winging it...

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Any plan is only as good as the riders' legs. Whoever rides relatively well in the first TT and Pyrenees will emerge as the Disco leader. If none of the candidates emerge as clearly superior to the others with a shot at a high GC position, Disco will remain leaderless.
No argument...that's what I said previously...and I also believe that Johan has his plan all mapped out.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
chuckice said:
It's either George or Paolo...the only way it's Popo is if he's just beyond spectacular/gets in a break, picks up big time and isn't reeled in. I have to believe the George/Paolo decision is going to be based on the first ITT results and how they look/feel/react in the mountains. But you can damn well bet that Bruyneel already has his mind set on one guy with a game plan to play alternates and mix it up.
btw - Popo was ahead of Savoldelli on both ITTs last year. Il Falco is an expert on short prologue-like ITTs. It's hard for me to believe Bruneel puts his hopes on Savoldelli after he went all-out in Giro. His scheduled must be all messed up.

G

·
kpcw said:
I just watched/listened to GH backup the, "There is no leader on the team...we'll find one in the first week...I think there should be one leader..." and this reinforces why GH is not going to win (although I root for him). He is meek and the meek don't inherit le Tour.
Walk softly and carry Big Quads :wink:

GH is gentle in conversation, but if you look at the prologue - he gave it his all. He said his power/weight ratio is up this year - that could make a big difference in mountains in particular. I think he'll get top 5 on Samedi.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
55x11 said:
It's hard for me to believe Bruneel puts his hopes on Savoldelli after he went all-out in Giro. His scheduled must be all messed up.
maybe his schedule is messed up because he was actually training for le tour and not the giro...i dont think he went all-out. i think they were checkin fitness levels. why they wouldnt try to defend the giro is crazy...like a fox. make basso burn like all get out to win the giro and possibly burn himself up in the process. he peaks before the tour, then all you have to worry about is jan. keep everyone in teh dark about who the leader is, so you don't have this, "salvodelli isnt really racing the giro, he is using it to train," talk. instead, you have, "what is wrong with disco?" chatter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.