Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am currently a 16 year-old mountain bike rider/ racer. I just got into freeride this past summer (summer of 2005) but mainly ride XC. I am very accomplished in the sport of cycling already and am looking for an easier way to get more miles under my feet/wheels since I live a good distance from any trails worth riding. I would like to do this by getting a road bike (obviously, since I'm posting on a roadie site) but am not sure of what to get. I really like the fit of the specialized bikes I have owned in the past. I currently ride a Specialized Rockhopper (XC) and a BigHit (FR). I have been very pleased both bikes and I am looking to possibly get another Specialized for my road bike. I am looking for any and all suggestions on what to get. I am 5' 10" tall and weigh about 145. I'm a powerful rider looking for a bike that I can take for long training rides (comfort) as well as race in local races (gotta be fast). Again, I'm looking for all the help I can get.

-Chris

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just go test ride as many bikes as you can and get the one that fits best and feels right.

MTB and Road geometries are very different, meaning the Spec. Road bikes might not fit you as well as the MTBs do.

As for what to buy, most people suggest going with 105 components or higher in Shimano. I'm not well versed on Campy. The new 105 stuff is 10-speed too. An aluminum frame will be fine, but if you can afford it, test ride a carbon or titanium just to see what you like.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
The dearth of response to your post is probably because this question has been asked many, many times before. Use the search box on the top left of the screen to find some of the old discussions.

In short,
1) Bike fit is important. Go to a local bike shop who can do a decent job helping you find a suitable bike. If you're not sure, ask for shop recommendations on the relevant forum here.
2) Test ride as many bikes as you can.
3) I like to advice people to spend as little as possible on their first road bike. When the upgrade bug hits, you'll be an informed buyer and you can then spend your money wisely.
4) Your preference will change over time, hence revisit points 1,2,3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts