Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's doing mountains of Misery? Or the Wilderness Road Ride on Saturday? Or Both?

I'm doing MOM for the first time (100 miler). The missus and about 10 others from my club are doing the WIlderness Ride..

V

·
Registered
220 Posts
VaughnA said:
Who's doing mountains of Misery? Or the Wilderness Road Ride on Saturday? Or Both?

I'm doing MOM for the first time (100 miler). The missus and about 10 others from my club are doing the WIlderness Ride..

V
I'm doing the MoM 120. I'll have the same clothes and bike in the pic below. Say hello if you spot me.

I'll also be marshalling the WRR course on Saturday. I'll be at the right turn onto Noley Rd after the long down-hill south of Christiansburg, most likely listening to Car Talk.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This be me..

This be me. I'm about 10 lbs lighter than this photo (now about 180) and riding a Lemond Tete De Course. I'll either be in this jersey (811 Velo) or most probably Bikes Unlimited. I'll be watching for you all. I'm hoping to finish around 7-8 hours but that is a guess since I've never done it before. And TheGood, You are the man doing this on a fixie, sorry it didn't rain;)

V

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
I'll be doing the 57 mile Wilderness ride saturday and the MoM Century on Sunday. I rode up the backside of Mtn Lake on Wednesday for a little memory refreshment....it wasn't that hard as I recalled, but then again I didn't ride 100 miles before I climbed it, only 20 :)
When you cross 460 to Mtn Lake it is 4.9 miles to the top. Well only the last 1.93 miles is hard. And of that 1.93 miles its all in teh beginning, the last .5 miles I climbed it in the 38x21.
See you saturday and sunday. I'll be wearing a Hammer/E-caps kit on saturday and a blue Martys Reliable Jersey on Sunday.
Vaugh, you look more like 20 pounds lighter than that picture.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Captain,

I may see you on Saturday as well. I'm sleeping late and then driving up to meet the wife at the WRR finish and staying overnight. I'm sure you'll be done long before me on Sunday. Don't heckle me too much on the final push if you're still there.

V

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
VaughnA said:

V
I did the WRR this morning (57 mile option). I recall the turn where AllUpHill was a marshall -- I wish that I had checked here before the ride, I would have stopped and said hello.

I'm doing the MofM tomorrow. I have done the ride each year since 2002, when I got off to a really rocky start (or should I say finish -- I bonked 1.5 miles from the end and after I recovered I literally walked and crawled to the end -- I had the second longest time that year. My finish times in 2003 and 2005 were 8+ hours. In 2004, I started the double metric route and bailed after 108 miles, 30 miles of which were in the rain. When I rode by the rec center and saw my dry, warm car, I just could not go any further. Notwithstanding my issues in 2002 and 2004, the MofM is a great ride and I really am looking forward to tomorrow.

I'll be wearing a red assos jersey, a blue and white Giro Atmos helmet and riding a black Trek 5200. And, I will be riding kind of slow -- I realized today that my preparation is not as good as it was last year. Say HI when you pass me.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch

Man that hurt. The first 60 weren't that bad and John's Creek mountain was hard but shorter than I thought it would be. That little loop from at Newport was a bear. Someone called it the valley of death and that is a good description. Short steep hills to take care of what is left in your legs. The main problem was the heat. It was horrible going up mountain lake. Probably 85 degrees and then you add the heat from the asphault and it was stifling. I ended up walking in the shade for a few sections just to cool down as were a lot of folks. I rode with a friend from Lynchburg and we stuck together until the end. We thought we were on a sub seven hour clip leaving the last rest stop but the heat took care of that idea. We finished at 7:08. Before the ride my goal was somewhere between 7-8 hours. So considering the conditions I'm very pleased. I really feel sorry for the folks that were taking longer considering the heat. We left Newport on the way home around 3:45 and there were still folks pulling out starting the last section in the heat.

Support was excellent as were the road markers. And the t-shirts were coolmax type wicking long sleeves. Awesome prize. Probably the hardest century I've done but I'll be back next year. I saw Capt_phun (about 6:15!) and AllUpHill finished right behind me. We left too early to see TheGood finish.

·
Registered
220 Posts
VaughnA said:
Man that hurt.
No kidding. I've been up that road to Mountain Lake numerous times, including a couple times at the end of this event and I had never before had any urge whatsoever to give up and walk. But today it was a different story -- I do not know how I managed to keep peddling and stay upright. But I am pretty sure it involved killing a couple million brain cells.

Vaughn and whoever else I may have met, I hope I wasn't staring off into space, mumbling, drooling onto my chest, farting out loud, snatching purses, or engaging in any other weird behavior at the finish. I'm not normally such a space cadet but I reached a truly astounding level of dehydration and hallucinogenic fatigue today, I'm not sure what I may have been up to at the top. Mark, in my dilapidated state I was listening for them to call out your name at the finish, but no dice. But hopefully you did the century and finished in a cool 5 hours or something :)

Anyway, I finished 2nd out of the double metric riders (128 miles) in about 7:19. About 40 miles, far too much, were solo.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Was that total time? I am completely impressed. How do you do it? What gears are you running?

I finished around #300..

took me about 9 hours ride time. I think I chalked up at least 1 hour 30 minutes rest stops.

I only clipped out and walked 20 ft at the one horrible switchback after the last rest stop on mountain lake rd. I walked to the side street and got my heart rate down and cooled off some more. I saw lots of other people give it up at that point too. Walking the rest of the way at 1 mph up the hill wasn't going to work, I could get there 3-4 times faster riding at 3-4 mph! haha!

I ended up stopping 2 more times to pour some water on my head and cool off and get the HR down. This enabled me to press on.

I had a triple (30-42-52) and 25-11 rear. A 27 rear would help on that climb, and thinking about it - a 32 rear would of been awesome!.. oh well.

That one ~14-15 year old girl road her mountain bike on skinny tire and finished a little after me. Hats off to her!

AllUpHill said:
Anyway, I finished 2nd out of the double metric riders (128 miles) in about 7:19. About 40 miles, far too much, were solo.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AllUpHill said:
No kidding. I've been up that road to Mountain Lake numerous times, including a couple times at the end of this event and I had never before had any urge whatsoever to give up and walk. But today it was a different story -- I do not know how I managed to keep peddling and stay upright. But I am pretty sure it involved killing a couple million brain cells.

Vaughn and whoever else I may have met, I hope I wasn't staring off into space, mumbling, drooling onto my chest, farting out loud, snatching purses, or engaging in any other weird behavior at the finish. I'm not normally such a space cadet but I reached a truly astounding level of dehydration and hallucinogenic fatigue today, I'm not sure what I may have been up to at the top. Mark, in my dilapidated state I was listening for them to call out your name at the finish, but no dice. But hopefully you did the century and finished in a cool 5 hours or something :)

That time is impressive especially considering the heat. I forgot you did the double. I was wondering why you looked so bad at the finish and were behind me, now I know;) You weren't babbling much but you weren't moving much either, it was obvious that you gave EVERYTHING you had.

Great Job Bas. I'm sure the longer time in the sun made it even harder. And you didn't walk as much as I did. I feel a little wimpy for walking a little but the heat was just too much. I probably could have just stopped in the shade and rode but I figured that I'd make a little time while cooling off out of the sun. We may have pushed it a bit beforehand and I stupidly took fairly long pulls in the pacelines I was in instead of sucking wheel. I'm sure that got us to the suffering that much quicker but took a toll on my legs. My 34-27 got a lot of use yesterday.

I'll be back and praying for cooler weather next year.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Thanks. My friend and I ended up riding together the whole time - we are about the same level although he seems to have extra left in the tank for the final pushes now.

Everyone else was too slow or faster than us.. alot of people were really tooooo slow downhills.. (and I'm a big time braker on hills (I can't hold a line not knowing how fast I should be going or how big the turns are) I just don't seem to have those skills in my head - plus something about wanting to live to tomorrow might also have something to do with it! :D )

I saw 1 guy go who went down in a small pack. I think he was okay.

VaughnA said:
Great Job Bas. I'm sure the longer time in the sun made it even harder. And you didn't walk as much as I did. I feel a little wimpy for walking a little but the heat was just too much. I probably could have just stopped in the shade and rode but I figured that I'd make a little time while cooling off out of the sun. We may have pushed it a bit beforehand and I stupidly took fairly long pulls in the pacelines I was in instead of sucking wheel. I'm sure that got us to the suffering that much quicker but took a toll on my legs. My 34-27 got a lot of use yesterday.

I'll be back and praying for cooler weather next year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
bas said:
Was that total time? I am completely impressed. How do you do it? What gears are you running?
Nice going. Tough ride and tough weather.

Yes, that was total time, of course it's not so hard if you are a dummy and only stop at two of the rest stops (hmm, that could explain some of my problems). My low gear was 39 x 23. As "macho" as that sounds, it was also really very stupid considering, like you, I was going 3-4 mph up the last climb, so I had absolutely no cadence. I'm a fairly young chap at 24, I weigh next to nothing and I ride in that area all the time, so I'm most impressed by you guys who come from flatter terrain, have a few years and pounds on me, and still finish strong.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
Fun ride yesterday. The heat was nasty. I felt ok considering I road the 57 mile Wilderness ride the day before. The only problem I ran into on the MoM was I ate some kind of brownie at a rest stop and it did not agree with my stomach and I kept puking up a little bit at a time. I finally downed a bottle of water to dilute it and I felt better, but now I know to stick to my own food of gels, e-caps, and harvest bars, no more foreign homemade goodies at the rest stops (though all the volunteers efforts are greatly appreciated :) .
I finished in 6:15, actually riding time was 6:04 so I had about 9 minutes of stops.
The final climb was a little bit harder yesterday than on wednesday, I guess 97 miles will soften you up some!
Vaugh thanks for the Beer! Whats next on the list to ride????

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
AllUpHill said:
Nice going. Tough ride and tough weather.

Yes, that was total time, of course it's not so hard if you are a dummy and only stop at two of the rest stops (hmm, that could explain some of my problems). My low gear was 39 x 23. As "macho" as that sounds, it was also really very stupid considering, like you, I was going 3-4 mph up the last climb, so I had absolutely no cadence. I'm a fairly young chap at 24, I weigh next to nothing and I ride in that area all the time, so I'm most impressed by you guys who come from flatter terrain, have a few years and pounds on me, and still finish strong.
That is macho!! You were doing faster than I was with 30 x 25! I'm 180 lbs, 32 yrs old.

I think the best was the older couple (60's?) cheering us on after mile 83. (after the starting point rest stop).

They asked me while ringing their bells , "How are you doing?" - I replied "Lousy!" which I think caught them by suprise.. haha The guy said "Well hey! At least your an honest man! You've got courage doing this and you can do it!" hehehe.. I told them Thanks!.

That made my day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I survived the century riding 39x16 fixed gear...came in at 7h 56m. The climb up John's Creek wasn't too bad...Mountain Lake, however, was torture...I had to stop about a mile from the finish to relieve the massive cramps in my legs...with the heat and the pain, I was delirious. Fun stuff...can't wait till next year. Hope to see some other FG or SS riders :D .

Cheers. I'm gonna have a beer or two.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Holy &*$#@!!!

thegood said:
I survived the century riding 39x16 fixed gear...came in at 7h 56m. The climb up John's Creek wasn't too bad...Mountain Lake, however, was torture...I had to stop about a mile from the finish to relieve the massive cramps in my legs...with the heat and the pain, I was delirious. Fun stuff...can't wait till next year. Hope to see some other FG or SS riders :D .

Cheers. I'm gonna have a beer or two.
Holy Cow! That is unbelievable. You were less than an hour behind us. I can't imagine climbing either of those two climbs on a fixie. I bow in your direction and have a beer waiting for you for next year. I wish I'd seen you finish, my wife had a cooler of newcastles waiting at the top (what a wife!).

Great job by everyone. A member of our club finished at 6:00 PM after taking an hour and a half break to recover from the heat. We didn't think she'd make it but she stuck it out. No matter what the speed that is a HARD ride.

I have posted a few photos that my wife took of me and my friend Scott on the ride at http:://www.811velo.com if anyone is interested. Just jump to the photo page.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Is that ride time or total time?

At 4.5 hours ride time on 100 miles, that's what, ~22.5 mph avg? Now that is unbelieveable!
:confused:

VaughnA said:
Holy Cow! That is unbelievable. You were less than an hour behind us. I can't imagine climbing either of those two climbs on a fixie. I bow in your direction and have a beer waiting for you for next year.

Great job by everyone. A member of our club finished at 6:00 after taking an hour and a half break to recover from the heat. We didn't think she'd make it but she stuck it out. No matter what the speed that is a HARD ride.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bas said:
Is that ride time or total time?

At 4.5 hours ride time on 100 miles, that's what, ~22.5 mph avg? Now that is unbelieveable!
:confused:
She finished at 6:00 pm. Right before the cutoff. She only started riding last year and this was her first "hilly' century.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.