Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally rounded up all the parts and pieces that I needed and mounted a front rack for Panniers on my bike. Only problem is that the rack extends beyond the eyelet into the dropout area and conflicts with the skewer attachment (see photo). Would it be reasonable to grind the end off of the rack so it no longer conflicts with the skewer? This would leave about 1/8" to 1/4" of steel from edge of rack to edge of the attachment hole. Other ideas? Different style rack required? Thanks - Bryan

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
yuck!

Hmmm... that's a bit of a conflict isn't it! I'm assuming your issue is interference with the QR end cap, whose diameter overlaps with the prong on the rack.

It's not easy to predict how you could shave the metal around a mounting hole while maintaining strength. Here's one way to look at it: The weight of baggage on the rack acts primarily in the vertical direction, due to the competing affects of gravity and bump/shock from the road. So the metal above and below the mounting hole is carrying most of the bearing stress. So you might conclude that the thickness of the metal above/below the mounting hole defines the minimum safe thickness to support the load. In other words, we might expect that any failure would result in a vertical crack, not a horizontal crack.

Why did the manufacturer allow the metal prong to protrude so far towards the skewer? Perhaps it's easier for them to be conservative and leave some extra metal there - even if it doesn't play a critical role structurally (but a very important marketing role). That said, if you decide to shave some metal do it conservatively and leave a clean surface with a smooth file. Otherwise a rough cut introduces more surface variation that can become a stress riser (source of cracks).

Also can you file some of the skewer end cap? Normally the cap is cosmetic and only serves to camoflage (sp?) the inner cap that does all the work...

· You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes that is the issue. Thanks for the insight. I guess I'm surprised that more people haven't had to deal with this kind of conflict before and there isn't a quick solution that's commonly implemented.

I think I'll try filing it down. Alternatively, I just received a $200 REI gift certificate so maybe I'll do away with the racks all together and just get a Bob Yak trailer. Time to use the search function and see what the concensus is on Bob trailers.

Bryan

· Bike Dude
993 Posts
Easy fix

I ran into the same problem with my cross bike (now relegated to work-bike status). Fortunately I had some metal extenders shaped sort of like a pyramid. They were about an inch and a half long. I used the smaller pointed end on the fork eyelett and then bolted the rack to the bigger end of the extender using stainless bolts, washers and 'nylock" locking nuts. You could use some steel pieces around 1-1/2" to 2" long by 1/2'' to 3/4" wide to make your own extenders. Drill them just big enough for your bolts to pass thru. They will put your rack back away from the center of the hub allowing you to put on your skewer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.