Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For nighttime riding I have a night rider evolution light system that I'm very happy with except for one thing: there's no good place to attach the battery pack on my road frame.

The battery pack velcros to the frame, but with the exposed brake cable running along the TT at 7 o'clock, if I attach the battery pack to the bottom of the TT it rubs on the cable and can push it into the TT, which abrades the paint. I can mount it on the underside of my stem, but the added weight on the stem can produce shimmy on fast descents.

How do other people mount battery packs on their road frames?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Depending on where on the top tube the cable stop is located, the strap might wind up going over the cable housing, over the cable stop, or under the bare cable; yeah, the cable rubs a little but it doesn't affect the braking performance to any noticeable degree.

I lashed the battery to the top of the down tube once, without incident, on a bike with top-tube routed cables. Wasn't a bad way to go....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Water bottle, rather than the cage...

I cut the top off of a water bottle and then just put the battery in the bottle. Then just put the bottle in the cage. Super stable and no worries about scratching the frame etc. Works great.

Mike

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry Irons said:
How about using a bottle cage or the bottle cage mount screws?
This is what it looks like.

It doesn't fit well into a bottle cage and if I strap it around my downtube, it interferes with the shifting cables.

It works on my top-tube. I'm just getting a little annoyed at having my paint scraped off under the brake cable. But as Walrus says, it doesn't interfere with the brakes working, so it's an aesthetic issue, not a safety one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.