Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just got a flight deck with the 10 spd mounting kit and I'm having a problem with the magnet. The instructions say to put the magnet on the spoke, then slip on the steel ring and then the screw. Easy enough, but the screw bottoms out on the spoke before the ring seats down against the spoke, leaving the ring to rattle around loose. Do I just need to grind down the screw to make it shorter?
Thanks in advance!
Walt

·
Registered
467 Posts
Do you have bladed spokes?I have flight decks on two of my bikes and use the mavic wheel magnets.The one that comes with the flight deck leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I guess I should have mentioned that they are standard spokes.
The shimano instructions don't say much about the magnet. The one included looks a bit different than the diagram and has two slots, one wide and one narrow.
I don't know if the screw itself should secure the magnet or if the screw should bear on the sleeve, then in turn on the spoke. Right now the screw tightens against the spoke directly and the sleeve rattles around loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, well I called shimano and they say the sleeve is just to prevent the threads from expanding when you tighten the screw, so the screw should bear directly on the spoke. He said to put a bit of thick grease in it to keep it from rattling.
Yeah, I might be looking for a better solution...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts