Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of SKS P35 fenders I bought for my Kogswell Model G. I am clueless when it comes to full fenders. The instructions say to use the provided bolt to mount the front fender.

First, I can't tell which bolt I am supposed to use. There is one that only has threads for about half the length, so I'm thinking it is that one.

Second, from what I can tell, the bolt should screw into the inside of the brake bolt. Is that correct or am I an idiot? It looks like the inside of my front brake bolt is threaded, but none of the bolts that came with the fenders seem to screw into the brake bolt. They look like the right size, but I honestly have no idea. Am I supposed to replace the brake bolt? Some other problem? The instructions are less than detailed.

I haven't even tried to mount the rear yet because I got stuck at this step when mounting the front fender.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
nate said:
I haven't even tried to mount the rear yet because I got stuck at this step when mounting the front fender.
Use the current front brake bolt to mount the front fender. Use the current rear brake bolt to mount the rear fender.

If you don't have caliper brakes (cantis or discs instead) that's when you use the supplied bolts. Are your caliper brakes wide enough to allow fenders through?

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gripped said:
Use the current front brake bolt to mount the front fender. Use the current rear brake bolt to mount the rear fender.

If you don't have caliper brakes (cantis or discs instead) that's when you use the supplied bolts. Are your caliper brakes wide enough to allow fenders through?
I have calipers and there is plenty of clearance. Your instructions make complete sense but the SKS instructions were a little confusing to me.

Thanks.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
nate said:
I have calipers and there is plenty of clearance. Your instructions make complete sense but the SKS instructions were a little confusing to me.

Thanks.
If you have the eyelets on the rear dropout, you might have to cut the bolt or use some washers to prevent the end from contacting your cassette or cog. The stock bolt that came with mine stuck out 1/4" on the cassette side of the eyelet. I have been cycling for 20 years so I had a jar of hardware and found a shorter bolt.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
bigbill said:
If you have the eyelets on the rear dropout, you might have to cut the bolt or use some washers to prevent the end from contacting your cassette or cog. The stock bolt that came with mine stuck out 1/4" on the cassette side of the eyelet.
I pulled out the dremmel and cut it.

· Registered
114 Posts
bigbill said:
If you have the eyelets on the rear dropout, you might have to cut the bolt or use some washers to prevent the end from contacting your cassette or cog.
I had that problem on the drive side, too. I found that the "struts" connecting the eyelets to the fenders were a little loose between the bolt and eyelet, so I added two washers on each side that took care of the extra bolt length.

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sigh.

Believe it or not, I hadn't tried to mount them again until today since the weather has been so great. Unfortunately, the bolt does not reach far enough through the brake hole and the nut is recessed (looks like the one in MN Dan's picture in the thread he linked to).

Can I mount it between the brake and the fork instead of behind the fork, or would that be a problem somehow? None of the pictures I've seen have had a fender mounted that way. Obviously it would lift the rear of the fender by a couple inches reducing the coverage there slightly.

Edit:
Ok, I got them mounted. Hopefully I'll be able to ride tomorrow but I have some homework left to do, so who knows when I'll get to bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.