Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on this handlebar option for touring, with bar end shifters?

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Suddha said:
Any opinions on this handlebar option for touring, with bar end shifters?
my personal opinion is that they're great bars.....for running around town or shorter rides. After completing a century with them, I went home and took them off and replaced them with some drop bars that had hoods I could rest on. There's no real "rest" position for long periods of time, seemed I was always shifting my hands around. YMMV.

(my setup was fixed, so no word on using shifters with them)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions (I think the second reply was an opinion phrased as a question). Having never tried them, I wasn't sure what to expect.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
similar to my experience

I like to ride with my wrists straight and mustache bars work poorly for those positions. I have them on my utility bike and they are great for errands and my basic commute. If I take a longer ride to or from work my wrists start to hurt and my pinkies start to numb after about 40 minutes. I speculate that they are intended for a more upright riding position than is comfortable for me, but I haven't tried that so I don't really know.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have moustache bars for commuting 8 miles each way daily - and have ridden up to 45 offroad miles on them - would not use them for tours or long rides - there's not enough hand positions - I can really only find two primary positions - the longer the ride the more I start move my hands around - agree with others - it's hard on my wrists for big distance

a standard drop bar - maybe with shallow drops is what I'd be looking for if building from scratch...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.