Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha all,

Looking for other manufacturers of the moustache bar out there besides the Nitto, Nashbar or Rivendell versions. Any other options?? I am hoping for an aluminum bar, anyone have one? Apologies if I have blasphemed and should have posted in components/wrenching.

Cheers!
-Jay

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
giveme2wheels said:
Aloha all,

Looking for other manufacturers of the moustache bar out there besides the Nitto, Nashbar or Rivendell versions. Any other options?? I am hoping for an aluminum bar, anyone have one? Apologies if I have blasphemed and should have posted in components/wrenching.

Cheers!
-Jay
check out On One:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?m...ser_op=view_page&PAGE_id=8&MMN_position=11:11

it's not exactly moustache bars but some interesting choices in the ballpark

·
Registered
51 Posts
giveme2wheels said:
Aloha all,

Cheers!
-Jay

The Nitto/Rivendell version IS aluminum. I use one on my commuter/'cross bike. The only steel one that I know of is the Nashbar one.

-James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Van Dessel Bars

I have the Van Dessel bars on my commuter. It is a modified old fully rigid mtb. It allowed me to keep my brake levers and shifters. It is not meant for road levers. BTW I am using Suntour CXPro thumbshifters and they have been bulletproof for the last 16 years. They can easily be shifted with winter gloves. I bought an extra set when suntour pulled out of the market and they are still in the packaging.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Van Dessel has a great price! The clamp size isn't as big a deal (old setup). Thx for the link!

-Jay

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
The 25.4 diameter isn't a prob for you Jay but just so others know it is not very difficult to shim a 25.4 bar with a thin strip of metal. One of my bikes bars is shimmed in this manner to fit a 26.0 stem. While I didn't use a beer can, one would probably work (may have to overlap the shim to get desired thickness). I want to say LeMond even had a last minute aluminum can stem shim in one of his tour de france victories...if not him someone else...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pete,

You are right on the shim, tho it was a coke and not an mgd shim! LOL

July 23 1989 on the Champs...a day of beauty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts