Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Move Championships back to Philly

1K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  MaestroXC 
Philly's a great race, granted and I'd love to see it become a huge old US tradition.

But don't award a jersey, save that for another day and course, on the weekend preceding the TdF like all the Euro's do. And the course should move around. Lord knows we have plenty of places for awesome road courses.

Let's not get into city-bashing. I think that's not the point. The point is, should the championships be at Philly and only Philly?

I vote no. The usual in top-tier cycling is for championships to move around, and not be combined with other races. Philly is a great race and stands on its own; it doesn't need a stars and stripes jersey anymore.

But. I do agree that the champs should not be in Greenville SC or any other city year after year. Move 'em around get cities to bid for them.

Also keep in mind that the Euro pro championships are not the biggest races on anyone's calendar. Check the archives on cyclingnews, they are rarely given full coverage, even France/Italy might just get a paragraph and top-ten listing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.