Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding on dirt for years, and I think its finally time to get a road bike. When to LBS today and rode a Trek Madone 4.5 and fell in love, is this a bad choice for someone new to road biking but biking in general forever?
 

·
No Bonk Zone
Joined
·
317 Posts
To summarize...

Does Trek make good bikes?


EDIT: It should be a good choice if it suits your riding position preference, budget, and looks good to you...
 

·
More Miles...
Joined
·
289 Posts
If you love to ride the bike it's never a bad choice . On the flip side , how many other bikes have you test ridden ? What kind of riding do you plan to do ? A couple of thousand is alot of money to spend if the bikes not right, so do your research . The fast and shiny bike will always feel good, but the right bike will feel like part of you . Happy hunting .
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
Been riding on dirt for years, and I think its finally time to get a road bike. When to LBS today and rode a Trek Madone 4.5 and fell in love, is this a bad choice for someone new to road biking but biking in general forever?
I don't know why you'd think the Trek might be a bad choice for someone new to road riding, but if this is the first bike you've ridden and the first LBS you've visited, I'd suggest you visit others and test ride more bikes. You might fall in love with another one more. :)

Seriously, expose yourself to a few different brands/ models before deciding, because they all vary slightly in geometry, and fit/ feel, ride and handling will differ as well. The only way to know what your preferences are is to spend some time riding more bikes.

It'll also give you the opportunity to chat with the LBS employees, see how receptive each shop is to your needs, how they set you up on the bikes prior to test rides and discuss any pre/ post purchase services they offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
The Madone series is a very nice series of road bikes and get rave reviews for that very reason. Certainly not a bad choice by any means, however, everyone has their own preferences and different ride styles. You may be in love with the Madone, but if you haven't ridden any other bikes, before you plop down $1500 on a bike, don't you want to be sure its the bike for you? Did you marry your first girlfriend????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it was the first true road bike I've ever ridden, and I know Trek makes an amazing product and it was, but what else should I look at? Fuji? Rocky Mountain? Felt? Specialized?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PJ352 said:
It'll also give you the opportunity to chat with the LBS employees, see how receptive each shop is to your needs, how they set you up on the bikes prior to test rides and discuss any pre/ post purchase services they offer.
The LBS has been helping me out for around 8 years, so I really trust them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
I would say yes. Try all of those. I rushed the purchase of my first bike and I continued to second guess myself for some time if I bought the right bike. I like it a lot now, but you should love it. Think of it like getting married. You wouldn't marry the first girl you dated.I have a few friends riding Trek and they love them. Great looking bikes also. Have fun
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
Yea it was the first true road bike I've ever ridden, and I know Trek makes an amazing product and it was, but what else should I look at? Fuji? Rocky Mountain? Felt? Specialized?
If they're available in your area, yes. Along with C'dale, Giant, Jamis...

Your other post mentions dealing with (and trusting) your local Trek dealer. For sure, that matters, but there may be other reputable LBS's that carry the aforementioned brands and riding some of their comparable models will broaden your horizons some. You can still go back and purchase the Trek, but (try to) keep an open mind to what the others may have to offer.

Don't misinterpret these comments, because I'm not anti-Trek, but I'm not sure I'd call all Treks amazing products (and a review of some threads in their forum reflects this). They're competitive in their market segments, but don't clearly offer more than many others. Besides, it's often more about fit (a result of geo) that gives a bike the edge on others, and riding them will help you decide what's best for you.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
Treks are poked fun at a lot on this site, but they are good bikes. If you like it & it fits it's a good choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never had good luck with giant in the past, and my local cannondale dealer has screwed me over in the past. I will keep an open mind though when I go to look at bikes today.
 

·
huvia ja hyötyä
Joined
·
572 Posts
You have several shops within reach... Try everything they have.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
I have never had good luck with giant in the past, and my local cannondale dealer has screwed me over in the past. I will keep an open mind though when I go to look at bikes today.
Understood. I personally don't care for Giant's sizing, and we have a LBS by me that IMO has that arrogant roadie 'tude going, so I avoid both.

No one said ride all bikes or visit all LBS's, like them or not. Just expose yourself to some more that may pique your interest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
PJ352 said:
Understood. I personally don't care for Giant's sizing, and we have a LBS by me that IMO has that arrogant roadie 'tude going, so I avoid both.
You live in Birmingham too???? same situation here...except our LBS with the 'tude is also the Giant dealer...so I get to avoid both at the same time! :)

Back to the OP's inquiry --- instead of which "brand" to consider, you might want to pick your material and bike styles first. Most carbon fiber racer style bikes, like the Madone, are similar...if you have a good relationship with your LBS, you certainly wouldn't be going wrong, but I think you'd be happier with your purchase if you rode some others first. If anything, to eliminate the doubt.

Personally, I've ridden a couple of freinds' carbon fiber bikes and they"re very nice, but at this point in my riding life, that if I was going to spend any money on a new bike, I'd probably just go all out and get a custom titanium ride. Until then, my mid-80s steel keeps me happy.

If I were you, find a local bike junkie and pick up on a used bike in your size...ride until you decide what you really want...then ride some more to make sure thats what you want. I recently got back into mtn biking and rode a used/cheapo GT Avalanche for two years and after falling in love with lots of mtn bikes over the past year, just found the new mtn bike for me. Surprisingly, it was none of the bikes I initially considered!


Good luck!
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
josephr said:
You live in Birmingham too???? same situation here...except our LBS with the 'tude is also the Giant dealer...so I get to avoid both at the same time! :)
LOL. No, I don't live in Birmingham.

I should probably qualify my remarks about Giant by adding that they're fine quality bikes. My problem with them is that the sizing/ geo doesn't work well for me, but others have the opposite experience.

Another example of the importance of test riding a few bikes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
The LBS has been helping me out for around 8 years, so I really trust them.
Nothing wrong with sticking with the LBS that you have a good relationship with.

That's what I did....in my case, I got a Specialized road bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Road some Specialized bikes yesterday, and didn't the ones in my price range as much as the Trek... however I did like one of the Specialized MTBs I rode:D
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
Road some Specialized bikes yesterday, and didn't the ones in my price range as much as the Trek... however I did like one of the Specialized MTBs I rode:D
You weren't supposed to be doing that. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,457 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
Road some Specialized bikes yesterday, and didn't the ones in my price range as much as the Trek... however I did like one of the Specialized MTBs I rode:D
my mtb is specialized (rockhopper comp 29-er):D
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top