Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very soon I will buy myself a new bike. I've settled on a Look 585 Optimum frame.

A couple of months ago I had my Campy Record brifters rebuilt and I'm thinking it would be a shame to retire these shifters. I'm going to go with a compact crank so I'm going to have to buy a new drive train.

Is it worth it to move my old equipment over to the new bike or is it best to start off fresh with all new components?

I think I am going to go with Campy Chorus unless someone here talks me into going Campy Record.

p.s. For the record I don't know what I'm going to do with my old bike. Keep it around for an every once in a while ride? Sell it off part by part? Stuff it up into the rafters of my garage?

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Hey, here's my thinking. It's nice to have another bike around, but at some point it's just clutter. If you think you will keep the old bike together, that's one thing. If you want to keep the frame because you may someday use it, that's another. But to your question, yes I would move all the parts to your new frame. I move parts around all the time.

· Registered
48 Posts
Chorus will be perfectly fine and performance will be equal to Record. To me, the main advantage with Record is presence of the various titanium fasteners, not for the weight savings but for the corrosion resistence (I hate rust). I'm not sure why you feel that conversion to a compact crank will necessitate a complete new drive train, though. You might want a tighter ratio cassette (11x23 for the compact if you've been running a 12x25 with your 53x39), but it's not completely necessary (save that 12x25 if you occasionally ride big mountains) and your existing front and rear derailleurs will work fine with the compact (a compact front derailleur IS NOT required for good shifting). As for the old bike, it will be easier to sell and will bring a better price if you sell "ready to ride"; an argument for buying new components for your new ride. Or you can keep it and build it up as a fixie or single-speed, a fairly low-cost project. Regardless, enjoy your Look - you're going to love it!

· Banned
1,844 Posts
If you have record shifters, should we assume you have everything else in record? If so, move the stuff-- the rear derailleur will be fine, you may wish to change cassettes for a different ratio at some point (as previously mentioned), but you should be able to use everything else with no problem. Then you can sell the frame (if you want).

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mwestray said:
Chorus will be perfectly fine and performance will be equal to Record. To me, the main advantage with Record is presence of the various titanium fasteners, not for the weight savings but for the corrosion resistence (I hate rust). I'm not sure why you feel that conversion to a compact crank will necessitate a complete new drive train, though. You might want a tighter ratio cassette (11x23 for the compact if you've been running a 12x25 with your 53x39), but it's not completely necessary (save that 12x25 if you occasionally ride big mountains) and your existing front and rear derailleurs will work fine with the compact (a compact front derailleur IS NOT required for good shifting). As for the old bike, it will be easier to sell and will bring a better price if you sell "ready to ride"; an argument for buying new components for your new ride. Or you can keep it and build it up as a fixie or single-speed, a fairly low-cost project. Regardless, enjoy your Look - you're going to love it!
I'm using an 11X23 cassette now so yeah I guess I could use this cassette on the new bike with a compact crank.

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mdeth1313 said:
If you have record shifters, should we assume you have everything else in record? If so, move the stuff-- the rear derailleur will be fine, you may wish to change cassettes for a different ratio at some point (as previously mentioned), but you should be able to use everything else with no problem. Then you can sell the frame (if you want).
Everything else is Record, yes.

My components have about 18,000 miles on them. There's the usual wear on them. Worn chainrings (not an issue if I'm getting a compact crank) and worn brake hoods.

· Registered
48 Posts
This is my second cassette. I wore out my first cassette about a year or two ago.
Good job, dude. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I've gotten 4000 miles on a chain or pair of tires, but quality components will last a long time if you take care of 'em (especially Campy!!).

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me add that I am still test riding some frames so I'm not 100% settled on the Look. If I like a more expensive frame I might move my old Campy gear to the new bike, spending the extra $$ on the frame and wheels.

And I'm a girl. :)

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
il sogno said:
Let me add that I am still test riding some frames so I'm not 100% settled on the Look. If I like a more expensive frame I might move my old Campy gear to the new bike, spending the extra $$ on the frame and wheels.

And I'm a girl. :)
I have a new frame sitting here in the back office waiting to get built. It's my travel bike, so I wanted to be somewhat flexible with the build to allow for a bunch of conditions.

And I'm getting cheap.

So I'm moving my 2000 Record shifters, RD, cassette and chain over to this, retiring my Pinarello frame, adding a new compact crank (50-36) and a new FD plus some Tektro long reach calipers to allow for 28+ tires. For grins I bought a pair of bomb-proof wheels to round it out

So now you know my recommendation - move the stuff over, add a compact if you really want to go that way and park the old frame for a while. Someday it might make a nice single speed project when you're bored.

There is nothing wrong with just adding another bike, but I wish a long time ago I had not developed relationships with all of mine and had been more capable of stripping some down to build some up. If you can do it, do it.

And oh yea, buy the most Look you can afford.

· Registered
48 Posts

And I'm a girl.
I was using "dude" in the genderless form of the pronoun!

There are obviously lots of great framesets out there, but Looks are hard to beat and have a great race pedigree. And here in NC, you don't see many, so after riding a Trek for 6 years, it's fun to be riding something that's a bit unique.

Enjoy your research and let us know what you end up with.

· ironmandreamer
29 Posts
This question can be oh so personal!

The real question only the individual can answer is do the parts you want to transfer provide a good match for the new frame? I wouldn't put old Campag on a new carbon frame. I wouldn't put Shimano on a classic European frame of any vintage. I wouldn't put new carbon Campag on a classic steel frame of any vintage. I wouldn't put Campag on a non-European frame.

I feel Campag is premium product but Shimano offeres better value for money when assessing the two manufacturers.

You wouldn't fit old classic spoked alloy wheels to a new Mercedes or 2008 Mercedes wheels on a MGB Convertible.

I have Campag on my Merckx and Shimano Ultegra on my Felt and couldn't imagine swapping the groups for love or money.

· Registered
242 Posts
I still use Record brifters from 1996.....

il sogno said:
Very soon I will buy myself a new bike. I've settled on a Look 585 Optimum frame.

A couple of months ago I had my Campy Record brifters rebuilt and I'm thinking it would be a shame to retire these shifters. I'm going to go with a compact crank so I'm going to have to buy a new drive train.

Is it worth it to move my old equipment over to the new bike or is it best to start off fresh with all new components?

I think I am going to go with Campy Chorus unless someone here talks me into going Campy Record.

p.s. For the record I don't know what I'm going to do with my old bike. Keep it around for an every once in a while ride? Sell it off part by part? Stuff it up into the rafters of my garage?

on my CX bike. A couple of years ago, I converted/rebuilt the levers from 8 sp to 9 speed.

Guess what? they still work. How many miles do you think I have on those levers?

18k is nothing for well-maintained Campy. Rings and cassettes are made to wear. Throw on some new cables and lube up the pivots of the brakes and derailleurs and BAM! New group feel w/o the pesky wear-in period of campy.

SO if your Record stuff still works, keep it if you want.

The main benefit (IMHO) in getting a new(er) group is for the improved ergonomics of the levers. I now ride SRAM Force on my Merckx and love the feel of the levers (vs older campy). If that's not important to you, use what ya got.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
transfer the components to the new frame. The only building philosphy one should adopt when transfering compnents is to make the new frame ridable. Do that first, then comes italian components on classic euro frame then, jap on non-euro or whatever. i have no such requirement. only make bike work for the budget, change at a later date is the guideline. Use light wheels, worry about asthetics after 400 miles of tweaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.