Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would greatly appreciate some insight on what it would take to move the stem mounted shifters to the down tube. The current bracket does not appear to be wide enough to fit on the down tube but I haven't disassembled it yet to see how close it will be. I would like to know what parts and their approximate costs I would need to do this. Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
handsomerob said:
I would greatly appreciate some insight on what it would take to move the stem mounted shifters to the down tube. The current bracket does not appear to be wide enough to fit on the down tube but I haven't disassembled it yet to see how close it will be. I would like to know what parts and their approximate costs I would need to do this. Thank you in advance
It might be more trouble than it's worth but it can be done. First, forget trying to install them in front of the cable guides. There is no reason to use the guides if the shifters are on the downtube. Since the frame doesn't have downtube shift bosses, you'll need shifters with a bracket. Loosescrews has them for $22

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...=Friction&item_id=SH-SLA105CL&id=618984330922

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
This is basically what you need

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.c...onents&sc=Shifters&tc=Index&item_id=SU-137A/6

but it's not a sure thing. The indexed ("ratcheting") shifting on those might not work properly with your bike, and it's not clear from the description or the picture whether or not you can turn the indexing off and switch to friction shifting. One alternative would be to fabricate a downtube clamp using the stem clamp as a pattern, then to dremel out the radius of the shifter assembly to fit the downtube. Another would be to go to a bike shop and see if they have a downtube shifter clamp in a pasteboard box in a back room.

I'd give this some more thought. Moving your levers to the downtube isn't going to improve shifting a lot, if at all. Downtube shifter clamps have a nasty habit of moving down the tube and scratching the paint, with rust the inevitable result. And you're going to wind up with two ugly, useless cable stops on your downtube. I know this bike is your project (been there, done that), but, as Dave said above, putting the shifters on the downtube might turn out not to be as rewarding as you imagine. :)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that is a bit discouraging. I thought that I could just buy some bracket for about $5 that fit over the braze ons/cable stops?? and just mount the levers on each side. Is there a way to use these braze ons/cable stops in conjunction with some actual down tube shifters as seen here...(from eBay)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a follow up, my desire to move the levers is about aestetics, safety, and fit. I obviously think down tube shifters look better, but also as they are mounted now the shift levers are sticking above the stem which is a bit unsettling if I should have an endo or any crash. The last thing is I would prefer to lower the stem down a little more, but the bracket is preventing me from lowering it at least another inch.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
handsomerob said:
Well that is a bit discouraging. I thought that I could just buy some bracket for about $5 that fit over the braze ons/cable stops?? and just mount the levers on each side. Is there a way to use these braze ons/cable stops in conjunction with some actual down tube shifters as seen here...(from eBay)
Well, there is that bracket/clamp I've talked about above, but it will not fit over and hide the cable stops.

It occured to me that bar-end shifters might be a good way to go if you're dead set on banishing the dreaded stem-shifter stigma from your bike. Bar-ends would make use of your existing cable stops.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wim said:
Well, there is that bracket/clamp I've talked about above, but it will not fit over and hide the cable stops.

It occured to me that bar-end shifters might be a good way to go if you're dead set on banishing the dreaded stem-shifter stigma from your bike. Bar-ends would make use of your existing cable stops.
Is there anything that uses the existing cable stops? Until this thread, I thought that all down tube shifters were mounted at the cable stops and that is what they were there for. Now that I have researched cable stops, I see that they are just that "cable" "stops". Is there any website that can bring a newbie up to speed on my quest?

As far as the bar end thing goes, I have not considered it, but it certainly is an option. The bike isn't worth putting a lot of money into which is why I hoped to use as much existing hardware as possible. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Is there anything that uses the existing cable stops?
Bar-end shifters.

Now that I have researched cable stops, I see that they are just that "cable" "stops".
It becomes clearer if you call those cable stops " cable housing stops." That's what they really are. With downtube shifters, you don't need any housing until you get to the rear of the bike.

I obviously think down tube shifters look better

Respectfully disagree. That bike and stem shifters are a perfect match. Kind of cool, actually. Cobbling on downtube shifters would, IMHO, uncool it.

...the shift levers are sticking above the stem which is a bit unsettling if I should have an endo or any crash
I've heard this for years, yet never seen or heard of anyone actually getting gored by stem shifters sticking up above the stem. For a long time, I rode with sharp-edged stems having chewed-up cro-moly steel hex-head bolt heads sticking out of them - see pic. Crashed a lot, but still intact.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Take those stem shifters off the stem bracket and see how they're attached. They might just be attached in the same way down tube shifters are attached to their bosses. If so, you could simply buy a clamp from Loose Screws and mount the old levers to the new bracket (I am not vouching for the aesthetics of such an application). You would mount them below the cable stops, so the stops would serve no function. Something tells me, though, that Shimano wouldn't make it this easy.

BTW, what is your gearing? If you need to buy new levers, be they downtube or bar end, make sure to match the levers to your gearing (6, 7, 8 speed). Non-index shifters like these http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...=Friction&item_id=SH-SLA105CL&id=753239629981 should work with just about any gearing you're likely to have and these bar ends http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...rs&tc=Index&item_id=SH-SLBS64&id=753239629981 should work, too, especially in friction mode.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
2nd thoughts

handsomerob said:
A bike that was built with stem shifters was never at the top of anyone's line of bikes. With all due respect, it was more likely at the bottom of the line. Given that these have been off the market for 20 or so years, you're looking at a bike that might be worth $50 on a good day. You have to think REALLY hard about spending anything on a bike like this other than making it safe to ride, and even then you wonder whether that same $$ might not be better spent on a decent used bike. Points to ponder.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kerry Irons said:
A bike that was built with stem shifters was never at the top of anyone's line of bikes. With all due respect, it was more likely at the bottom of the line. Given that these have been off the market for 20 or so years, you're looking at a bike that might be worth $50 on a good day. You have to think REALLY hard about spending anything on a bike like this other than making it safe to ride, and even then you wonder whether that same $$ might not be better spent on a decent used bike. Points to ponder.
This is a 1988 Schwinn World. I got it and a 1988 Murray Sebring at a pawn shop for $50 total (w/tax included). I certainly am not going to put a bunch of money into it, in fact I pride myself on the fact that it is a bargain ride (see my thread I started to see what other bikes can be had for cheap.)

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=49687

I mostly keep the Schwinn in a trainer, but pull it out when it is wet outside, and the Murray will be partially for my wife (if I can get her into this) and partially for a child seat carrier. Pictures of both are in the above mentioned thread. My baby is a 2003 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, so I am not in need of an everyday bike. I just would like to do the most with what I got for cheap :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wim said:
Bar-end shifters.

It becomes clearer if you call those cable stops " cable housing stops." That's what they really are. With downtube shifters, you don't need any housing until you get to the rear of the bike.

Respectfully disagree. That bike and stem shifters are a perfect match. Kind of cool, actually. Cobbling on downtube shifters would, IMHO, uncool it.

I've heard this for years, yet never seen or heard of anyone actually getting gored by stem shifters sticking up above the stem. For a long time, I rode with sharp-edged stems having chewed-up cro-moly steel hex-head bolt heads sticking out of them - see pic. Crashed a lot, but still intact.
When it comes down to it, I have adjusted/tuned the derailleurs and the shifters work very well. I do like having an indexed rear even if it is only a 6-speed (cog/cassette?), and if I can't just use what I got somehow, I will probably just leave it alone. I really appreciate the stem shifters look cool comment, and if the best I can hope for is a jerry-rigged downtube set up, then cool stem shifters will have to do. As far as the other options, I would have to ride a bike with bar-end shifters before making that leap. Thanks everyone for their comments and advice. If I do make any changes I will post some pics.. ;)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Astonishing revelation.

...the Murray will be partially for my wife (if I can get her into this) and partially for a child seat carrier...My baby is a 2003 Lemond Alpe d'Huez...
Am I reading this right? handsomerob is going to ride the Zurich while his wife struggles on the Murray with a child on the back?

You getting her into this shouldn't happen, and hopefully ain't going to until you get a decent bike for her and the baby.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
wim said:
Am I reading this right? handsomerob is going to ride the Zurich while his wife struggles on the Murray with a child on the back?

You getting her into this shouldn't happen, and hopefully ain't going to until you get a decent bike for her and the baby.
Very funny, but my intentions are to put the Kid Seat on the Murray when it was just me and the kiddos because of the softer ride with the fatter 26" tires. When and if the wife would ride with me then I would swap the Kid Seat to the Schwinn and carry him.

At this time, I would find it very difficult to:
1.) Put a car seat on my Lemond
2.) Go slow on my Lemond
3.) Be seen on my Lemond while the wife was on the Murray (that just wouldn't be fair)
So, the Lemond will come out to play when the family stays home. (it is an Alpe d'Huez)

Also, the reason I would have my wife ride the Murray is partially the softer ride due to the tires, but more importantly it has a big mamma jamma seat on it with big ole coil springs. It is very backside friendly. I can assure you that a nice bike with a sporty saddle is not going to sell her on riding as much as a big cushy cloud of a bike. Here is a pic...

As much as you or I get a kick out of doing 30mph on a bike (yeah I know that is slow to a lot of you), that would be the last thing in the universe that some people would consider fun. My wife would be one of those people. Now if she ends up digging the whole roadie thing and wants to pick up some speed, then we can talk about dropping some $$$ on a bike. Until then, she will have to ride the U.S.S. Murray Sebring aka the Boat Anchor. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts