Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be relocating to Boston in a couple of months, and I have no clue where to live. I'll be working right downtown, so I'd like to live near a subway stop hopefully within 1/2 an hour of downtown via subway. Are there any particular areas I should check out, preferably with access to decent riding? Thanks!!

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
I'll be relocating to Boston in a couple of months, and I have no clue where to live. I'll be working right downtown, so I'd like to live near a subway stop hopefully within 1/2 an hour of downtown via subway. Are there any particular areas I should check out, preferably with access to decent riding? Thanks!!
Many people live in the Somerville / Cambridge area, with access to the Red Line. That will put you within 1/2 hour of downtown via subway. The riding is decent, but you always waste the first and last 20 minute of a ride.

JP (Jamaica Plain) is another popular choice, but to get downtown you have to take the dreaded Green Line, which tends to run late and slowly during rush hour.

So just like in any other big city, you trade off distance to downtown with distance to out of town riding areas.

I have no idea about the areas south of Boston.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Commuter Rail

There are many rural towns with commuter rail service into Boston. The further you get away from the city, of course, the better the riding. Since you want to be 1/2 hour from downtown, I'd check out the MBTA (Mass Bay Transit Authority) maps online & start looking within a 15-20 mile radius.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any specific towns as I live about 40 miles west of Boston and do most of my riding out here. I can tell you though, that housing prices - even though they're coming down right now - are probably higher than wherever you're coming from. Many of the towns surrounding Boston are outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Jim,

Hope that your move is uneventful. There are several areas that I would consider.
In no particular order as I do not know how you ride, I would consider
1) Melrose, about 12 miles North and on the commuter rail. Reasonably close to fairly good road and mountain riding.
2) Watertown/Cambridge up near the Alewife T Station. Very close to the west side of the city and very good proximity to one of the best cycling shops in the country, Belmont Wheelworks. Many ways to hook up with riders through them.
3) Boston's North Shore Lynn, Salem, Beverly (starting to get into supurb riding area (ocean, farms, horses and miles and miles of country roads) All on the commuter rail 15-20 miles north.
Feel free to email me.
Rocco from Boston

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect - thanks!!

Thanks everyone, just what I was looking for. Hope to see some of you on a ride soon!
JN

·
Registered
464 Posts
don't forget boston itself

I live in Dorchester (southern part of Boston proper) close to Milton line. What's great about here is that within 10 minutes of hopping on my bike I'm in the Blue Hills (a state park with great MTB and good hills for road riding). Also have pretty easy access to the S.Shore and the roads along the coast and it's not far from other good riding in the south western burbs.

And as for getting into the City, I'm right on the "Red Line" so getting downtown on the Metro is all of about 20 minutes. But I only do that when its snowing or raining - otherwise I commute by bike.

Housing is reasonably priced in Dorcheste (all relative - Boston is expensive), though area is not as Hip as Jamica Plain (JP) (BTW, JP has both Green and Orange Line access, not just Green as was mentioned in earlier post) or Somerville/Cambridge. If you are looking at Somerville, look to Davis Sq, close to T-stop, close to Cambridge and a pretty active scene.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
If you're really going to be working downtown

I'll assume that you mean the Financial District, take some time to check out the commuter lines. They start up in Wilmington and go all the way to the North Station, from there it's about a 15 minute walk (or less) to the financial district. Anywhere northwest of Winchester/Burlington is nice, but pricey.

BTW, not to nit pick, but prices of housing are not coming down. They are only cooling off, that is, not escalating at the same clip that they were 1 year ago. If you need a realtor, wifey can hook you up with someone who knows the area. PM me.

BT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts