Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am in the NJ/NYC area right now and will likely get a job offer in Cambridge MA. I would appeciate some thoughts from you folks as to the pros and cons of moving there, in terms of riding and other aspects of life.

So this job will probably mean a bit less hours and a bit less pay but should be decent. There will be much travel overseas. Generally I am OK w/ it.

Now the riding part, how much worse is the weather and road conditions? Would you consider it a significant difference from NY/NJ? Even now I think winter is a bit long around here.

Also will the area be much less fun than NYC, you know, like events, (ethnic) restaurants, and the other fun things to do in life?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok, ok. i'll bite...

if you want NY-style nightlife & culture...stay in NY.
if you're a yankees fan...stay in NY.
if you want a shorter winter, nice roads and more cycling...move to California. (SF or SD).

that having been said,
boston/cambridge is a metropolitan area & you can find whatever you want here. it just might not be on the same scale as NYC.

it's all about expectations. if you're not going to be happy if you can't find the exact same {fill in the blank}, then it's going to be rough. but there's usually an alternative. e.g. there's no magnolias...but rosie's is pretty good.

you can ride pretty easily from cambridge out into the suburbs. the roads are decent but the shoulders are narrow. the weather this year has been pretty good for riding. it probably depends on your tolerance. mine's ~25F and i think i took the subway for most of mid-dec to mid-feb. lately i've been riding much more though.

i can't compare the NYC & boston weather patterns. i can't believe they're that much different.

so, it seems like there's two ways to read your post.

if you're just looking for assurances that cambridge isn't horrible and that you can ride here then come on up! it'll all be ok.

if you're worried that you won't be able to continue your NY lifestyle you might want to spend a week in the area first.

fwiw, i moved here from SF last year and it's been good. i can't ride across the gg bridge any more but i can ride from boston to vermont during the fall. and while the boston burritos are questionable, i never got to xc ski in the streets of SF. the hardest part (w.r.t cycling) is not knowing routes. it's like getting sent back to the minor leagues where you have to check directions all of the time.

-k

p.s. and then there's the whole "driving in boston/cambridge" thing. whatever you've heard - it's all true. nothing is parallel and only half of the streets are marked. but you get used to it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Redbones... check em out...

Any biker in the Boston area has to hit Redbones... great food and beer

http://www.redbones.com/

Cambridge is great./Boston is as well, but rather expensive living... I loved it living there when I was single/engaged, but after we got married, decided to move to western mass, buy a house a settle down, but you'll love it there, lots of colleges, nightlife, art, culture and some great roads just west of the city (concord/lexington area).

Great mountain biking close to the city as well (Fells, Vietnam etc.) check out www.nemba.org for mtn biking info if you're interested...

good luck

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input.

The riding part being a bit more important to me. Hopefully I can cut down on the hours a bit so I can ride more. I suspect the weather is similar to NY, but I have seen numerous mentions of "wet" climate in New England, which got me a bit concerned. Of course there are many things to consider but I certainly hope I won't have to compromise on riding.

kar said:
ok, ok. i'll bite...

if you want NY-style nightlife & culture...stay in NY.
if you're a yankees fan...stay in NY.
if you want a shorter winter, nice roads and more cycling...move to California. (SF or SD).

that having been said,
boston/cambridge is a metropolitan area & you can find whatever you want here. it just might not be on the same scale as NYC.

it's all about expectations. if you're not going to be happy if you can't find the exact same {fill in the blank}, then it's going to be rough. but there's usually an alternative. e.g. there's no magnolias...but rosie's is pretty good.

you can ride pretty easily from cambridge out into the suburbs. the roads are decent but the shoulders are narrow. the weather this year has been pretty good for riding. it probably depends on your tolerance. mine's ~25F and i think i took the subway for most of mid-dec to mid-feb. lately i've been riding much more though.

i can't compare the NYC & boston weather patterns. i can't believe they're that much different.

so, it seems like there's two ways to read your post.

if you're just looking for assurances that cambridge isn't horrible and that you can ride here then come on up! it'll all be ok.

if you're worried that you won't be able to continue your NY lifestyle you might want to spend a week in the area first.

fwiw, i moved here from SF last year and it's been good. i can't ride across the gg bridge any more but i can ride from boston to vermont during the fall. and while the boston burritos are questionable, i never got to xc ski in the streets of SF. the hardest part (w.r.t cycling) is not knowing routes. it's like getting sent back to the minor leagues where you have to check directions all of the time.

-k

p.s. and then there's the whole "driving in boston/cambridge" thing. whatever you've heard - it's all true. nothing is parallel and only half of the streets are marked. but you get used to it.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
New England is full of small towns with small roads connecting them, so there are plenty of routes to explore. The Boston area is also surprisingly accessible to road cycling: 30 minutes out from the center of Boston and you can be in a very nice area with little climbs and barnhouses and little traffic.

The racing scene is also thriving, thanks to the large number of cyclists in the area.

So overall it's a good place for cycling, and if you want more climbing it's easy to pack up and go to NH or VT for some really serious climbing. The Boston metro area is more full of kicker hills. So sayeth the non-climber, amen!

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
You won't have compromise on riding at all. The weather is comparable to NYC. There are a lot of cyclists in the area and lot a of good clubs. The roads are generally pretty good outside the city, but there are some wheel killers in the city.

If you ever move, PM me and I'll show you around.

If you are a Yankee fan don't fret because contrary to popular belief there are quite a few Yankee fans around here (like myself).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts