Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· just another biker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving Memphis soon for Charleston, SC. Can anyone recommend a good bike shop that deals with more than just beach cruisers and rentals. I've got a Felt, Specialized and an old Italian road bike that need occasional maintenance and I usually don't have the time or willingness to do it myself.

Also, can any one fill me in on the good groups to ride with, places to go, things to avoid?

· S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
Check out the coastalcyclists.com website for ride activities around Charleston. You will also find a link for local shops.

There are some streets and, times of day that riding is best avoided. But, its been many years since I lived there so, I recommend start befriending the coastal cyclists people and you will get more up to date and accurate info on these routes and streets.

· Registered
17 Posts
Agree about Charleston Bicycle Company - real professionals! John Glover is the owner.

Also consider joining the Coastal Cyclists.
Tell me what part of town you will be living in and I can give you some quick run-downs on best riding possibilities. I live down town and ride the Ravenal Bridge to Mount Pleasant almost every day. In fact I am fixin' to leave right now!

· just another biker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charleston Bicycle Co, thanks. I'll be on Daniel Island and from what I can tell it looks like I'm going to have to drive the bike to get to any decent riding. Anywhere I can ride from DI?

Last day of work, next Friday and moving last week of July. So looking forward to it.

· Registered
73 Posts
You don't really have much option for riding off Daniel Island, I used to live there and it put a serious damper on my riding.

You can do short circuits around the island neighborhoods but that gets pretty boring so plan on driving if you want anything more than just riding for exercise.

I wouldn't suggest riding on 526 (lots of trash on the shoulder aside from the obvious) although it is one of the few "climbs" in the area! Clements Ferry road can also be rough, lots of industrial traffic and would be a bit of a detour to get into Mount Pleasant.

As recommended, check out Coastal Cyclists club for some good info.

Hope you have a good time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.