Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm moving to Detroit area for my 1st full-time job out of college. My job is in Romulus, the powertrain plant close to the airport. I don't have to live in Romulus, but preferably close by. Can y'all please give me some pointers on:
1. where's a safe place to live around there
2. where are road bike trails around detroit area
3. how's the traffic around Romulus area (in case I need a bit of a drive to work, preferrably less than a 30 min. drive to work)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you working at the Rawsonville plant there?? I used to work there a while back. If so, I will admit I'm surprised, with all the changes the company has been going through, I didn't think they would be hiring.

Areas close to there nice to live...

Plymouth
Canton
Ann Arbor
Livonia
Northville

I'm not familiar w/ the cities south of Romulus so I can't recommend anything.

Hines drive is a nice road ride. It's really the only place locally I know of that actually has a shoulder intended for riding. It runs from Northville to Dearborn.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm going to working at the Romulus Engine plant for GM. I think I'll be moved to the Powertrain in Pontiac in 2007. I think I might go live in Ann Arbor for the time being.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Other Clubs

Try the League of Michigan Cyclists' web page ( http://www.lmb.org ). They probide links for other groups and clubs in the state. If you're into mountainbiking, try the Michigan Mountain Biking Assoc's page ( http://www.mmba.org ). IMHO, the roads just south of Ann Arbor (Saline area and west) are pretty good. I live in NW Oakland County and we have some good roads, but invariably you will encounter a nasty stretch. Ann Arbor is probably the most bike-friendly town in MI - if one exists in this auto-centric state - . Me and group of fellow riders are forming a new club in the Milford area. If you (or anyonle else) is interested, PM me.

P.S. If one of my kids told me they were going after a job in the automotive industry, I'd beat 'em with stick. Good luck anyways and welcome to MI.

One more thing, if I had to do it all over again, I'd move to Ann Arbor. If for nothing else, it'd be for thje pizza at NYPD Pizza (605 E Williams St - a block of the Quad).

·
Seanahee
40 Posts
Try Ann Arbor

I've lived in Ann Arbor for well over a decade and can't say enough good about it. It's NEAR the Detroit area, but it's NOT Detroit. This is good.

Lots of great rides in almost any direction. Especially west of town. Stop by Great Lakes Cycles -- they run some group rides.

Welcome. You'll dig it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I moved to the area in September and live in Ann Arbor. As far as cycling goes in SE Michigan, i think it's the best scene. Also a town with a great quality of life and for someone just out of school, I think you'll find it full of fun stuff. Commute to Romulus should be pretty straightforward. Commute to Pontiac would be a problem though.

Cool towns for someone just out of school are Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, Ferndale (latter 2 basically on edge of Detroit).

2 major clubs in town:

Ann Arbor Touring Society www.aabts.org - group rides for any skill level except off the charts hammerheads. Very friendly group.

Ann Arbor Velo Club www.aavc.org - faster group rides and a good home for off the charts hammerheads. Not as outwardly friendly but more than willing to tolerate new folks.

There are a ton of cyclists and some good rides. Just turn up to one fo the club rides and you'll be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.