Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving to FW around Jan '07. I was there for a month or so after the hurricane (I'm from NOLA--don't worry, I wasn't one of the ones increasing your crime rate), and prior to going, I found a site that listed some training rides for the DFW area, as well as other areas of TX. It was a real good site, and I planned some rides off of that info. I regularly did the Benbrook Tue/Thur rides at 6 p.m., and met a few folks at Minyard's off Hulen for some long Saturday rides. I'm looking for this site, again, now that I know I'll be moving there, but I can't find it. Any ideas as to what site I'm talking about?

I'm in the Navy, so will be working at the base. The wife and I will be driving up in July to check out the area again so we know where we want to buy a house. I'm pushing for Benbrook, as it's good for the riding and close to work. Wife is onboard, but has been looking online at some builders and sees some houses going up in the Eagle Mtn Lake area? All I know is that it's NW of the base, but how's the area in general? Good schools (got a 3-yr-old)? Good riding? Someone also recommended Saginaw to her. Again, don't know anything about that area. What else am I missing? Anywhere you'd recommend to live? Criteria are that I must be able to ride without having to drive somewhere first (like I do now--I hate that!) unless I choose to, good schools (we're talking elementary), and the ability to buy a home for $180K or under.

Thanks

· Registered
310 Posts
I would vote for Eagle Mountain Lake. I can't answer all of your questions, but I can steer you somewhat.

For riding: Both Southlake and Eagle Mountain lake areas are pretty much equal as far as rolling out of your house and going for a ride. That's one thing we do have around here...space. Depending on what sort of riding you're interested in, you can find it. On the Benbrook side of things, there are several very bike friendly roads that loop around the lake. Around Eagle Mtn lake there are similar routes around the water, but I'm not quite as familiar with these. The bonus for either area is that the Trinity river trail system (40 miles or so it total) will pretty much take you straight through the heart of Ft Worth from north to south so you really could do rides in both areas with minimal time in city traffic. Good stuff. Lots of bike groups, races, events, etc...

I can't comment on schools, but I'd think the average price of homes is just about equal in either area. The bonus here goes to Eagle Mtn lake because the vast majority of growth in the area is north of Fort Worth closer to Southlake and Keller. Probably more convenient commute to the base (Carswell I presume) from that direction as well. Traffic is pretty much a non-factor either way. Dallas takes that honor.

· T.R., conservationist
239 Posts
Aledo

Check out Aledo. The Benbrook ride goes right through there. It is close to FW with good access to the interstates and the schools are supposed to be really good.
Great riding all over from there, good schools, and accessible to good highways.
Good luck,
Jerry

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
The only Tues Thurs rides I know about is these guys: http://fwbaclub.org/ but they do it in the morning as far as I know.

But this was here last week. Unfortunately I missed it due to prior engagements, but I heard it was great:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.