Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Actually, I'm moving to Burlington, but I'm looking at jobs in Greensboro and Raleigh.

Anyway, can anyone point me in the direction of some good rides - weekday or weekend - in both cities? It looks like just about every shop in both towns has several rides.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
148 Posts
i used to live in Greensboro. Check out Battle Ground Park. In the Raleigh area there is a suburb called Cary, very bike friendly town lots of bike lanes. Big cycling community in both cities. You are not far from the mountains either.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help. As for the question of how far, how fast, I'm not really sure. Right now I live in a very flat part of the country and I'm not sure how hills will affect me.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i ask only to help direct you...

there is a wicked fast training race out of the chapel hill performance shop on sat. am. 60ish miles, 22+mph, there is a beginners' ride out of carrboro's wilson park tues. evening. 15mi at 13mph, and there is everything in between.

if you're riding after work, i'd suggest the many cyclingspokenhere.com rides. if you're coming east on the weekend, chapel hill/carrboro is closest to you. the tarwheels link above is a good one. i'd add arcadiacyclingcenter.com.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
For weekday rides the 2 best are Harrington Grove (very fast hilly route) on Tuesdays and The Spin Cycle Ride (very fast as well) on Wed. Ther performance ride is good (tho the only times I have ever been on it people have crashed). They are good weekend rides out Harrington Grove a 8am and Mission Valley (this ride seems to be dying some but can still turn out a good crowd on occasion) at 9:30.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are single and expect a social life, i would certaintly go for living/working in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, or Greensboro, but no way Burlington....plan to be bored to death if living in Burlington!

a comute from Bur to Raleigh would be no fun either.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Absolutely agree! Most of the riding I do is in southern Alamance and western Orange counties. Great terrain (mostly rolling with a few moderate hills 1-2 miles in length and long flats) and for the most part very educated drivers regarding cyclists simply due to the abundance of them coming mostly out of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Hillsborough areas. I live in Mebane and have no problems finding great bike friendly areas and roads to train on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.