Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Motti
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2-3 weeks from now i supposed to move to Singapore for half year.
I would like to know if i can bring with me my road bicycle.
if yes, what is the procedure and costs (if there tax costs??)

another question is:
do you know road/triathletes groups? and where can I ride my road bicycle in Singapore?

thanks!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, you can bring your bicycle with you to Singapore.

To my knowledge, there is a 7% tax on all items brought in worth more than $400. You may or may not need to pay this considering that you are here only temporarily and this is a personal effect, not something for commercial sale.
You can check with the customs officials at the airport as you enter. Payment would be made via an ATM style machine that can calculate the tax you have to pay (if any) and you can pay by credit card.

Singapore is a good place for cycle rides. There are many cycle paths all over town, plus a good number of people ride road bikes on the road as well. Most people ride bikes along the coastline because of lower traffic compared to the interiors of the island, but that is a minor distinction - you will find cyclists everywhere.

You can take a look at the Togoparts forum to find riding buddies, or look up the map of Singapore on Strava to see where people are riding roadbikes.

S#

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
As the noob notes:

Definitely bring your road bike and bring your best road bike. The condition of the roads is excellent and they are clean. If you like tubs, bring those wheels too. The terrain is basically flat and when there is wind, moderate. Usual mix of fast riders, medium and freds.

No tax as long as you're not bringing it in for resale.

No real procedure, put box it or put into a dedicated carrier and fly it in with you. Note, you will need to arrange to have a larger sized taxi to pick up you at the airport but this can be arranged easily in advance.

There are a large number of road/tri groups, varying levels, varying mixes of locals and foreigners, etc.

For routes, go the the Joyriders site. JoYRIDERS.sg

The two most popular are the Kranji route which is a loop to the west, about 70km and the Changi route which is the loop to the east, about 90km. Sing is a small place. You can always go into Malaysia for more variety but you'll need to carry your passport.

I have been here four years now and ride all year round. Most people ride early, starting at 6am, some even earlier. This is to reduce the amount of time baking in the sun (ambient doesn't change but direct and radiational heat can get pretty noticeable) and avoid the traffic. A COE (certificate of entitlement) costs about $60,000 SGD, that is just the right to drive your car, in addition to the price of the car. They feel entitled to the road and have an interesting view of who has priority, them or bicycles. Just be aware.

I spend four years riding in Shanghai before coming to Singapore and I felt safer in China which gives you my view of Sing drivers. The only place I've been hit on my bicycle, and this includes NYC, Boston, London and Shanghai has been Singapore when I was t-boned by someone in a BMW. They stopped and besides some road rash and broken parts, not big deal. She told me I was in her blind spot. I pointed out that the blind spot was her windshield.

Best thing to do is on Saturday or Sunday, to go up to the Long House food centre on Upper Thompson Road. Riders start gathering there after 6am with various groups. If you're fast and it's Saturday, I'd recommend the ANZA club fast ride or another group known as the 6:40 as that is the time they leave and for Sunday, there's also the Cycleworx ride which used to leave at 8:30am or so but I haven't ridden that last in the last couple of years. Some group rides have exceeded 20 riders and I generally steer clear as the combination of inexperienced riders, riders on the limit, tight roads and bad drivers is not a good one.

Let me know if you need more info.

Hi All,

2-3 weeks from now i supposed to move to Singapore for half year.
I would like to know if i can bring with me my road bicycle.
if yes, what is the procedure and costs (if there tax costs??)

another question is:
do you know road/triathletes groups? and where can I ride my road bicycle in Singapore?

thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.