Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Totally outdid himself.

I tried posting some pics of this frame the other day - and ended asking for the thread to be removed. I don't know what's going with people around here these days.

Anyway,

My frame arrived from Montana yesterday.

Stunning is really all I can say, the detail work is out of this world, and although I have not ridden it yet, it sure looks like exactly what I wanted.

Steel frame and fork, unbelievably light. Looks to me like Carl subscribes to the MX Leader school of fork design, the legs on this fork are massive, the curve is beautiful.

I will build it up over the next few days, but I am pretty excited at this stage.

The colour is "Dank Moss" a dark metal flaked green, panels are an Ivory colour and the lettering is outlined in a metal flake gold, all adds up to unbeleivable. I'm going to be too nervous of the finish to actually pack it in a case and travel with it.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Gorgeous. I wish I had the money, time, etc. to order a frame like that with couplers. I'm really more and more needing a transportable bike so I can ride during my travels. Great stuff!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
You have too many bikes! That bike is beautiful. Don't worry about the finish, just get some pipe insulation and cut it sized to fit. I use it on all my bike transports and have never had a scratch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bopApocalypse said:
that's hot.

out of curiosity, what brakes are you planning on running? those bosses look impossibly high for cantis or Vs.

Paul racers?
100%.

Good eye.

Yes - Black Paul Racer's, the old style ( called the "Narrows" in house)

Will take up to a 38 tire ( possibly a 40) and at least 34 under a fender.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
toomanybikes said:
It was powdercoated at Spectrum.

good, powdercoat is prob the better option for a travel bike. so then are those decals? that should be easy to fix... remove, re-clearcoat, done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FatTireFred said:
good, powdercoat is prob the better option for a travel bike. so then are those decals? that should be easy to fix... remove, re-clearcoat, done.
Not decals.

The choice is mine. The frame was shipped to me, at my request, to look at it and decide whether I can live with the flag or not.

If I decide I want it changed, then I can ship it back to them to have it "fixed"

I suspect I may just decide it is a "stylized" interpretation and live with it. I actually don't mind it. Kind of funny really.

I am just sure that I will be ready to ship it back to Colorado and wait 5 weeks to get it back.

·
my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
nice color!

I just took delivery of a different builders custom steel road frame in almost the exact same colors. Dark green with white lettering and gold outline (no panels). I'm waiting to build up the bike before revealing anything else though.

beautiful!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
terry b said:
You are a very lucky guy to have such a nice bike.

Good choices all around. Someday I hope to have a bike like that.
I don't think you will ever be this lucky.

I doubt that you would have the good sense to get Green!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a frame on order with Carl now and I am trying to decide whether to go with the racers or cantis. Be sure to post your thoughts on the brakes when you've had a few rides under your belt.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's really nice! I know what you mean about nervousness and shipping, being in the end stages of my coupled Strong buildup. Good to see someone else went with curved fork blades besides me. Can't wait to see the final product.

Minstrie

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow!

Gorgeous frame! FWIW, if you get/have the S&S bike shipping case, you may want to look into getting some of their frame wrap. Fitting the bike in the case can be pretty tight with both wheels, etc. and the frame wrap takes up much less space than pipe insulation. You pretty much get it in rough lengths (as you would pipe insulation) and cut it to a custom fit.

If you already have experience with this, sorry for blathering on, preaching to the choir.:p

Go out and ride it and scratch it up so it won't seem so daunting to pack it up and ship it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.