Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the forums as best I can and it seems like the commuter tires for preventing flats are the Specialized Armadillo and the Continential Gatorskin. But what about using Mr Tuffy?

Just seems like people are saying those two tires give a poor ride quality so why not use a tire with a better ride quality and Mr Tuffy to keep from getting a flat.

I started bike commuting a few weeks ago and got my first flat using GP3000 tires (they already have ~1000 miles on them) so looking at what I should replace them with. Planning to get a 700x25 tire.

Thanks

· Registered
5,525 Posts
On my commuter I use a flat resistant tire (Armadillo or Panaracer Pasela Tourguard) AND Mr. Tuffys. I don't like flats on my commuter, and I don't get them. Belt & suspenders work together quite well...

· duh...
9,749 Posts
PdxMark said:
Belt & suspenders work together quite well...
but style-man would call the fashion police for that faux pas... fortunately, nobody will know if you've got Tuffys under your tires, whatever they may be. Tuffys worked fairly well for me when I lived in a thorn-laden city.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
enki42ea said:
Just seems like people are saying those two tires give a poor ride quality so why not use a tire with a better ride quality and Mr Tuffy to keep from getting a flat.
Mr. Tuffies are great. Light, flexible and very, very effective. I've been using them for (gulp) about 20 years now. I recommend them for everyone other than hard-core racers.

- FBB

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
FrontRanger said:
Slime makes some that are much lighter. Knock on wood but they have done the job for me quite well. Much better than the crappy slime tubes.
Just got the slime stuff over the weekend (the tire liners like Mr Tuffies, not the stuff that goes in the tube). Was really looking for Mr Tuffies as they seem better but they didn't carry that brand. Wish they are an easier way to make sure the stuff is inserted correctly(i.e. centered)

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Slime SUX

It is OK is you can add it to the tube your self, but there is not very much in the presta valve tubes. I go with teh betl and suspenders, Mr. Tuffy's and Armadillos, no flats since. I don't care if I am late to work, but it really sux changing a tube, so I would rather just run both. Lots of Goat's head thistles here in Denver. I had 4 of them in the tire for a little while Friday, still rock solid, thanks to Mr. Tuffy.

· Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
i use the ultra gatorskins and the slime tube protectors. i finally got a flat a few weeks ago and was amazed at the stuff that made it part way thru the tire but not all the way to the tube.
a good combo for the gritty streets for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.