Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after watching me flail to the finish line many a time over the past decade+ (cannot even believe it has been a decade). Mrs. TMB decided after the Patriots Int'l last fall to become....drumroll...a triathlete.

Now...this is no big deal except for the fact that she didn't really swim, was afraid of riding on roads and had a knee that needed surgery from her years destroying it when she danced (yep...she was a dancer Svend).

So...one arthriscopy, one crash course on the fun of road riding and a winter, spring in the pool (her swim strokes...are meh at best...but the distance isn't an issue) the event fast approaches... White Lake

And now the nervousness. When I did my first event (and she was present) a kicked face, a concussion, a shark and barely making it back to shore was the order of the day...needless to say it wasn't the best start to tri.

But the real fear...is that although I didn't want to compete and just wanted to watch her...she insisted that I compete as well. So...my heat (masters 35+) will probably go 15-20 minutes before her heat...and I will be on the bike when she starts her swim (novice females). If anything goes wrong for her...I won't know it!

I am really nervous for her...she is trained up--has her zoot tankini--but I cannot help but be worried. I really--really want it to go smoothly for her--no kicks in the face (mitigated by the group she will swim with vs. my swim in the open males division back then). Then the bike...I don't want her to be intimidated by the "studs" who will be finishing up while she is still going. The run...well that will take care of itself (she is pretty quick)...and I will be there taking photos of her finish.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
she'll be fine. now HTFU.

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tomk96 said:
she'll be fine. now HTFU.
If I wanted HTFU...I would have posted on Slowtwitch.:p

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
Oh, you posted in the lounge. so I would advise that you have some H&B ready at the finish to help mellow you out.
Or that you get a mac.
I'm sure JoeD would hit it.

hth

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
She will do fine. Tell her if I can do one anyone can, well within reason of course. Just tell to concentrate on finishing this year and if she wants to do another one then she can work on her times and speed.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Just go slow in the swim and do the bike and run with her.

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Follow MB1's advice. And try not to kick her in the face on the swim.
I cannot tell you just how upset Mrs. TMB (it would be a looooong silent vacation) would be with my lack of confidence in her (and I am confident in her...just nervous.)

She has taken to HTFU...pretty well these last months and throws it around when she needs too.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
thatsmybush said:
I cannot tell you just how upset Mrs. TMB (it would be a looooong silent vacation) would be with my lack of confidence in her (and I am confident in her...just nervous.)

She has taken to HTFU...pretty well these last months and throws it around when she needs too.
Bring along a camera (waterproof) and tell her you are working on a photo thread for RBR..... :D

It is a win/win/win situation.

1) You get to buy a new camera.
2) You get to race with your wife.
3) If she kicks your butt you have an excuse, "The camera slowed me down!"

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
White Lake is a great course for a first race, flat and not too much traffic on either the bike or the run. I have done the half twice. The water is so clear in the lake that it is not all that different than a pool (you can SEE the bottom of pretty much the whole way) I assume she has a wetsuit. Both times I have done White Lake the water has been~60 degrees. She's doing the sprint??
Lat year (I did the Half) it was super windy and that really made for a long day on the bike. It probably won't get too hot for the sprint, but heat and sun can be an issue on the half.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
thatsmybush said:
Well after watching me flail to the finish line many a time over the past decade+ (cannot even believe it has been a decade). Mrs. TMB decided after the Patriots Int'l last fall to become....drumroll...a triathlete.

Now...this is no big deal except for the fact that she didn't really swim, was afraid of riding on roads and had a knee that needed surgery from her years destroying it when she danced (yep...she was a dancer Svend).
straight to the solar plexis...ouch

/ I'd just advise her to wait about 30sec before starting the swim, avoid the initial mayhem etc etc and like that....

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTDave said:
White Lake is a great course for a first race, flat and not too much traffic on either the bike or the run. I have done the half twice. The water is so clear in the lake that it is not all that different than a pool (you can SEE the bottom of pretty much the whole way) I assume she has a wetsuit. Both times I have done White Lake the water has been~60 degrees. She's doing the sprint??
Lat year (I did the Half) it was super windy and that really made for a long day on the bike. It probably won't get too hot for the sprint, but heat and sun can be an issue on the half.
She is doing the sprint...she has seen me do the event 6 times, so she knows the course and that is why I recommended her start with this one.

Going to be 90 again today and 80s all week long...I expect the water temp to jump into the mid 70s this week.

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
svend said:
straight to the solar plexis...ouch

/ I'd just advise her to wait about 30sec before starting the swim, avoid the initial mayhem etc etc and like that....
Thought you would appreciate that.

I have gone over the strategy so often at this point...if she hears it again, I am pretty sure she is going to take a swing at me.
:D

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
thatsmybush said:
And now the nervousness. When I did my first event (and she was present) a kicked face, a concussion, a shark and barely making it back to shore was the order of the day...needless to say it wasn't the best start to tri.
You should take comfort in the fact that her chance of encountering a shark in the lake is practically nil.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
Tri's are great. The best time I ever had I was right behind this brunette. For some reason, I just couldn't get past her....:D

She'll be great. Don't sweat it!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
mohair_chair said:
You should take comfort in the fact that her chance of encountering a shark in the lake is practically nil.
Apparently you haven't heard of the BULL Shark.

·
Opus was just napping
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mohair_chair said:

So we have that going for us...which is nice.

She just went for a run...its 90 degrees, said she wanted to feel some pressure.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Oh, man. Being the sexist I am, I thought you meant the first TriMESTER. I was going to tell you to be afraid of the late second and third. That's when the hormones go apeshite. But the hell ends when the kid turns 18. At least that's what I've been told

Anyway, congrats to the lady on her first TriATHALON. That's quite the score, no matter what the place.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Man, this thread just isn't what I thought it was going to be about.

:(

/lingering visions of hot Asian wimmens in action still in my mind......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts