Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone one if the road to the summit from the ranger station is open to cyclist?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The race was this past Saturday so I'd have to assume it's open going forward.
You can ride up. I was up two weeks ago. You just have to walk the bike around the gate at the bottom since they added some support cables to the sides (used to be able to ride around it).

Two weeks ago there was still one spot where there was snow near the Conifer trail that you had to walk the bike around but a friend went up yesterday and said it was clear now. Still some snow on Conifer but I guess it isn't blocking the road anymore.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, took a chance and went there yesterday, No problem riding up there. Road surface was great just swarms of May Flies at this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks, took a chance and went there yesterday, No problem riding up there. Road surface was great just swarms of May Flies at this time of the year.
How was the descent? In the past cops have ticketed cyclists. I was warned by an attendant of this fact as I entered so both times I've not gone that fast while in the boundaries of the park. It's a pity given how nice the pavement is. Mountain road outside the park has no restrictions, of course, but the pavement isn't that great. I've done the ride twice, the last time being in 2014.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well until they open up the gate below there isn't much in the way of traffic or control so you could get away with going down faster but there are some pretty sharp turns for the speeds you can get up to if you don't use your brakes. You could easily ride right off the side of the mountain if you aren't careful. If I'm going to bomb down a descent I prefer the straighter ones like mile hill or down 62 or 31 from the center of Princeton. The pavement on all of these is pretty good this year.

Also as the weather gets better you tend to have more walkers going up and down the roads which can be hard to see around some of the bends if you are flying down (hence the speed limits).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was an electronic signboard at the entrance of the road indicating a speed limit of 20mph for cyclist. Not a problem going up. Coming down there were a lot of park personnel cleaning the roadway and sides of the road so I was off and on the brakes most of the way done. Rt 140/Redemption road was a mess with construction on one section. Mountain road was great.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Well until they open up the gate below there isn't much in the way of traffic or control so you could get away with going down faster but there are some pretty sharp turns for the speeds you can get up to if you don't use your brakes. You could easily ride right off the side of the mountain if you aren't careful. If I'm going to bomb down a descent I prefer the straighter ones like mile hill or down 62 or 31 from the center of Princeton. The pavement on all of these is pretty good this year.

Also as the weather gets better you tend to have more walkers going up and down the roads which can be hard to see around some of the bends if you are flying down (hence the speed limits).

I think you're being a bit dramatic here for no reason. From what I remember you'd have to be asleep to ride off the side of the mountain. Sure it's not a straight tuck and go but I've never had any surprises and would only describe braking as routine.

The only iffy moments I've ever had anywhere near there is when taking a left outside the access road (what's that, Park road?) because there seems to always be a wicked cross wind coming off Wachusett lake.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think you're being a bit dramatic here for no reason. From what I remember you'd have to be asleep to ride off the side of the mountain. Sure it's not a straight tuck and go but I've never had any surprises and would only describe braking as routine.

The only iffy moments I've ever had anywhere near there is when taking a left outside the access road (what's that, Park road?) because there seems to always be a wicked cross wind coming off Wachusett lake.
I totally agree. The cyclists who received $200 speeding tickets were going 50MPH according to the attendant who warned me not to do it. I'm not recommending going that speed given the fact that there are hikers but take away that element and I wouldn't think twice about bombing it especially with the immaculate pavement.

I topped out at 49 on Mountain Road. I didn't feel unsafe but the pavement is not perfect unless something has changed since I last rode it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
There are two lefts on the way down (one worse than the other) where you have to be careful, though I can't remember which is the worse of the two before the "down" meets again with the "up". Part of your perception of me making it dramatic might just be what I consider "bombing" vs what you do, for me it means no brakes, which I wouldn't be able to do on those two lefts without ending up in the trees or off the side and down the ski trail.

I've hit 51.9 on mountain road before, but some days it can be windy and going that fast down it can be sketchy even though it is straight. The pavement is pretty good but there are a couple spots that you don't want to be sitting on your tube top as you go over them.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
There are two lefts on the way down (one worse than the other) where you have to be careful, though I can't remember which is the worse of the two before the "down" meets again with the "up". Part of your perception of me making it dramatic might just be what I consider "bombing" vs what you do, for me it means no brakes, which I wouldn't be able to do on those two lefts without ending up in the trees or off the side and down the ski trail.
oh, yeah. I definitely wouldn't bomb (by your definition) down there. I do 'go wicked fast', which is my definition, without much concern though.

You ever been up/down Miller State park? You really do have to chill way out and ride the brakes hard there or you'll be off the road in a heartbeat and that's the picture I thought you were trying to paint of Wachusetts.

By the way, speaking of Miller State park that and Wachusetts in the same day can make for a really good challenging ride. I find it as challenging or more than most rides I've done in the White mountains. It's not as fun or as scenic but if I'm not up for the long drive North it's a good substitute.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

I've hit 51.9 on mountain road before, but some days it can be windy and going that fast down it can be sketchy even though it is straight. The pavement is pretty good but there are a couple spots that you don't want to be sitting on your tube top as you go over them.
I wouldn't have the skill to descend that without brakes. You really think it's possible if the road was closed to all other traffic?

I can see how those other cyclists got up to 50 though. There are straight enough stretches to quickly get some serious speed.

I pedaled into the descent on Mountain road and then tucked. I was disappointed to not reach 50. Do you think you had a tailwind when you got to 51.9?

·
Registered
985 Posts
oh, yeah. I definitely wouldn't bomb (by your definition) down there. I do 'go wicked fast', which is my definition, without much concern though.

You ever been up/down Miller State park? You really do have to chill way out and ride the brakes hard there or you'll be off the road in a heartbeat and that's the picture I thought you were trying to paint of Wachusetts.

By the way, speaking of Miller State park that and Wachusetts in the same day can make for a really good challenging ride. I find it as challenging or more than most rides I've done in the White mountains. It's not as fun or as scenic but if I'm not up for the long drive North it's a good substitute.

I've never done Miller state park. Maybe I'll get around to it this year as I do have a couple riding friends that go up that way often enough. Toughest ride I've done in terms of climbing was the Greylock century last year. I'm not a climber so it was a lot of suffering but it was worth it for the descent on rte 2 from whitecomb down to where ever it was you turn south on to E. Hawley(?) road.

I'm living pretty close to Wachussett this year so hopefully I can take advantage of it and work on my weakness.

Jason, I don't think I had a tailwind, but couldn't be sure. I've been up to the mountain a lot but don't always go down the mountain road way, especially on days where the wind is stronger. The 51.9 was in 2014, before I had a garmin so it was recorded on a phone app (maybe not as accurate). Last year I had a 51.2 max recorded with my garmin. A month ago with a bit of a crosswind I topped at 49.9 though I might have touched the brakes a couple times and might not have been on the top tube as much due to not being completely comfortable with the wind.

As for going down the mountain itself, on my fastest time down (back on the phone app so again maybe not completely accurate), and before I knew about the speed limit or had done the descent enough to know better, it says I got up to 53.5 right about before the first big left if the strava data is to be trusted, and gave myself a pretty good scare making it around the bend. Since then I've learned of the speed limits and seen them posted so I usually ride the brakes down not really letting myself get too far past 30ish (much slower if it is busy with hikers).

5-20-2016 update

Garmin says I hit 54.6 today today on mile hill descent (strava says 54.4). There didn't seem to be any wind today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.