Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace a road chain and was wondering if there is really any performace difference in road and mtb chains. I have a SRAM PC99 and 991 sitting in the garage for the mtb. Will one of them work ok for the road bike? The bike has 9 spd DA on it.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
mtpisgah said:
I am getting ready to replace a road chain and was wondering if there is really any performace difference in road and mtb chains. I have a SRAM PC99 and 991 sitting in the garage for the mtb. Will one of them work ok for the road bike? The bike has 9 spd DA on it.
I don't know the SRAM chain models, but the Shimano road and MTB chains are the same. If it works for 9-speed MTB, it will work for 9-speed road. - TF

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
You will be fine!

Even though SRAM has a PC-89 Road chain, it seems about the same as the PC-99. Both also come in the HP (Hollow Pin style).

Any 9 spd MTB Or Road chain will work fine. Also 10spd KMC or Shimnao will also work on a 9spd set-up Road or MTB.

As TT said, Shimano does not have a MTB or Road specific chain (Well I guess 10spd would be raod only, but they wrok great on 9spd.).
The top 9spd chain is listed as DA/XTR....

·
Tourist
989 Posts
the PC99 works perfectly fine with D/A9, I've been using this combo for x1000 miles since last summer. Mountain bike or road, get whichever is cheaper !

Pierre

mtpisgah said:

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

That saves me from having to buy another chain and I can use some of my stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts